- advertisement -

Bob's GF chocolate cake

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Nancy in VA, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma has a birthday party to go to today and I got this last night because out plans for GF cupcakes kept getting scuttled.

First, the store at the mall that has them didn't have any.
    Then, our store didn't have Betty Crocker devils food cake.

So, I got a pack of Bob's Red Mill chocolate cake.

The cupcakes are huge. It said it made 18. I was going to try to make 13 or 14 so they would be bigger. No, it filled up 18 cups. And they ROSE. So, no little cupcakes that are barely the size of the cupcake paper - they look like normal grocery store cupcakes. They look yummy. I know Emma can't wait!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

bobs red mill is a good brand.. we use this to make birthday cakes.. most people don't realize its even gf. :)

hope she enjoys her cupcake.

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My preferred box cake is the King Arthur Flour mix.
    Second place goes to Namaste cake mix.
    Betty Crocker gets third (though one box only makes one layer, so it's expensive to make a layer cake.)

I'm not a fan of the Bob's cake products because they use bean flour and I find they smell and test like feet. Erchggghhh!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I had forgotten about Namaste cake mix.. Kaylee LOVES it.. very expensive, and you can only find it in a health food store, but Kaylee does love it.

5. Caldercup

I adore the Namaste cakes, but I'm finding it hard and harder to locate locally. Whole Foods used to always have it, but only seem to be offering their spice cake and vanilla cake mixes.

I've got to find another source, because I miss it.

6. carcha

carcha Approved members

7. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Thanks for all these tips. My non-celiac daughter has a birthday in a few weeks and I am trying to find something that tastes good and is gf so everyone can have the same thing. I have tried some baking on my own, but it is not going well. Nothing tastes good. And the kids are starting to think gluten makes everything better.

8. Caldercup

I'd try and find the King Arthur's mix -- it's worth every penny. (Just know that most GF things taste best if eaten that day. They get sort of "gummy" after a day of sitting around, so I'd bake it that morning.)

Also, I find that almost all of my homemade stuff comes out great if I use Jules All-purpose GF flour. I've only been able to find it on-line, but it's worth every penny. (http://www.julesglutenfree.com/) I can substitute it in most cakes, cookies and muffins in a one-for-one exchange for "regular" flour in my old stand-by recipes without a problem.

Good luck!