advertisement

BluCon for Abbott FreeStyle Libre

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Budapest, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

Hi,

I came across this recently: https://www.ambrosiasys.com/

We have been using the Libre for about two years, lately with a Sony smartwatch, but this seems to be more straightforward.

Anyone has any experience with either version?

Thanks

PS.: it has been 5-6 years ago that I visited here last. DS is over 13 already - our 10-year D anniversary was over a year ago already.

2. johnyaya

johnyaya Approved members

I've been following these guys for a while to see if any news developed. Just based on my understanding: a product like BluCon, as an accessory to a class 3 medical device (which I'm assuming the Libre is), would require class 3 status as well, and likely need FDA approval in order to legally sell the product in the United States. I think Ambrosia is pitching the idea that they've manufactured a generic device which also happens to also be able to read Libre devices, but I'm not sure that detail will matter, as far as the FDA is concerned. Or perhaps they can't ship to a US-based address.

Please note I'm not saying the product doesn't work - perhaps it works brilliantly well.

3. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

Perhaps next generation Libre could drop the NFC and use bluetooth.

And by doing so, turn Libre into a real CGMS with alarms.

4. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

We recently got our BluCon. Hooking it up to Glimp was as easy as deebee.it says it is. So far it works well.

And the best part of it is that it frees up the smart watch used until now for the Libre CGM setup to be used, well, as a smart watch. And the watch continues receiving data from the BluCon through the phone Glimp app so it continuously displays the current BG while the data can be shared remotely as well.

Very exciting.

(P.S.: Ambrosia customer service is mostly non existent. Prior to ordering I did manage to get them to respond to emails after a while, however they never told me they shipped the product. I kept sending them emails about expected shipping time that they never responded to until I got a notification from the post office that a package is waiting for me.)