- advertisement -

Blu ray player?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ecs1516, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Worth buying??

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Only if its attached to a PS3.;)

Ok...I just had to say that....:p

If you have an HD tv then blu-ray is definitely worth it.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

LOL . You are going to get me to buy that PS3! Does it stream Netflix?

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

Heck yeah - http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevicesDetails?pdid=105

We stream through our Tivo usually but we have done it through the PS3 without problems.

The Xbox can stream netflix also but you need to buy the Gold membership for xbox and you need to buy a wifi adapter (I think - according to the netflix site).

Are your kids asking for one or the other? I think the PS3 is a better product for what it can do (blu-ray, etc) - but if all their friends have an xbox then that is a tough choice. I'm really happy with the ps3 obviously. My son who has played both says that his friends xbox is slow (the game play is slow online) - and another kid said that to my son yesterday (when I was driving them home). I think it would help to have some input from xbox fans - trouble is finding people who are objective who have used both systems!

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Yep.. we actually have two PS3s. Both for the gaming system and because of the blu ray/netflix. One is in the living room and the other in my bedroom.

6. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

I agree! We have 2 PS3's the nice thing about the blu ray player on the ps3 is when the system does an update, it also updates the blu ray software, so it always has the newest up to date software. So for example when you by a blu ray player, and was made when they used blu ray 2.0 to make the discs and then 6 months later all blu ray movies are now being made using blu ray 3.0 you take the chance that your blu ray player will not run the disc.

I have had one of my PS3 since the first Christmas it was launched and it plays everything. We even find the quality better on DVD's played on the PS3.

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I have a LG BD 550 blu-ray player. It works well. I don't have it connected to the internet because my TV is, but it can be connected with another usb dongle thing, and it can stream Netflix then. Much cheaper than a PS3, but not nearly as versatile ;)