- advertisement -

Bloodwork questions (celiac and thyroid)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Traci, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Ds9 is getting ready to have extensive blood work done for the second time since diagnosis. Last time, they did not test for celiac and thyroid issues, but this time they will. Endo wants to get a baseline on both. I must admit that I really have never paid attention to the celiac discussions on here because I know nothing about it and ds didn't have it, so I could not really add value to any thread. But now I'm worried.

If he has positive antibodies, but no symptoms (which he does NOT have symptoms of thyroid or celiac), will we have to switch to a gluten free diet immediately? Anything else I need to know to look for or expect on the results?

2. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

If you get a positive for the celiac they will send you to a gastro who will probably due endoscopy.

As far as the thyroid goes, I'm going through that right now. Sloan's TSH was elevated in December so they are going to run a thryoid panel again in March to see if it is changing any and then they will go from there.

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

With the prevalence of Celiac in the Type 1 population, it's definitely something that needs to be tested -- especially as so many people with celiac are totally asymptomatic. (Both my son and I were!)

If the bloodwork comes back positive for Celiac, they will often retest. If that comes back positive, you see the GI and they determine whether a biopsy is needed.

I know Celiac seems awful and scary -- and many feel it is -- but, we've made the switch very well and I actually feel like we eat better and are far healthier than we were "before" the hammer fell.

And, with the scary complications of untreated Celiac, it's much better to go GF than to deal with the much worse issues of continuing to eat gluten.

The thyroid part is easy -- a small pill, some adjusting to get the dose right, and you feel SO much better, even if you didn't realize just how badly you were feeling before.

Good luck.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I had hyperthyroid issues as a child and hyperthyroid is trickier to treat than hypothyroid. With hypo you take a pill every day - end of story more or less.

I had my thyroid removed as a child because it was enlarged, a goiter, Grave's disease, etc. So now I'm hypo and take the pill - no big deal.

Either one is not an horrible emergency (though I know it is your child so there is always much concern!). The positive thing is that if you child has any thryoid issues they will feel about ....oh......a million times better after getting treatment and the treatment options for both are well established.:cwds:

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

Thank you all for the answers! We had the blood work done this morning, so now it's just the waiting. Ds was so very brave for the blood draw. I just feel like I did back when he was dx'd with type 1...will he still be the same happy kid? will this make him feel "different"? how will our other four children respond to the changes that must happen? So many questions.

And my husband, who is normally so very wonderful, just doesn't understand why I'm so upset. I'm sure we will just deal with it and move on--we are not the wallow-in-self-pity types--but the feeling that there is yet another ax hanging over my son's head is killing me. I mean, I dealt with a cancer diagnosis for myself without shedding a single tear, but since the endo ordered these tests, I can't stop crying.

Thanks for listening and for responding. You each have given me some hope that life will be "normal" again!

6. selketine

Traci,

Sometimes I lose the train of posts if there is something to make you suspect your child is having additional problems with either celiac or thyroid issues so forgive me for asking is that the case?

These two tests are actually quite commonly done for those with type 1 (or should be I think) and William has them every year and I don't worry that he would be dx'd with either. I know the thyroid is very, very treatable (cause I've BTDT - LOL!) and celiac would be a change but it is doable. William already has some anaphylactic food allergies (to peanut, nuts and shellfish) that honestly he could die from if he accidentally eats them. So celiac - at least the good news there is if you slip up and eat some gluten - at least there is no immediate risk of a serious issue. We've adapted to being very careful about food labels, eating out, etc. It is a PITA at first but gets easier the longer you do it - and from what I can tell the gluten free items are more available and more varied and better testing (we eat off the gluten free buffet at CWD conferences cause it is nut free and some of the items are better tasting than what's on the other buffet - IMHO!).

I'm *absolutely not* making light of these tests or your concern - believe me - I went to the dr. for what I thought was an ear infection last week and it wasn't - and he scared me to death saying it "could" be a brain tumor or leukemia or .... (a number of fun things and my hearing might not ever return). Waiting for lab results was very stressful and I'm not sure my family ever "got it" but it helped to post here about it and talk to some people who would give me some sympathy!

Anyway...not sure if you suspect a problem or are just concerned that the tests may be positive but I hope I have set your mind at ease just a bit. Hang in there!:cwds:

7. Traci

Traci Approved members

Carol, thank you so much for the kind words. It means so very much.

No, I have no reason to suspect either celiac or thyroid disease. Ds is growing right on target, no intestinal issues, etc. I just feel like there's something new every time we turn around. Ds has had several "weird" things...and of my five kids, it's always him, poor baby...a lump that was some kind of cyst, a heart murmur, unexplained rashes, just weird stuff!

But he's just happy as a clam! He has the best attitude in the world. I have not shown one ounce of worry over these tests to him, but he came by and patted me on the shoulder and kissed my head, saying, "don't worry Mom, it's gonna be all right". Seriously, this kid is amazing...he doesn't deserve all this! None of our children do!

8. selketine

I only have 2 kids but William has so far been the one to develop medical issues (asthma, serious food allergies, outdoor allergies, diabetes, eczema). I agree with you that I think what they have is enough!

I hope your worry will ease - let me know what you find out!:)

9. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Carol,
    You got your test results back?? All good?