- advertisement -

Blood sugar testing at school (young kid)...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Sep 2, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

Still working on getting that 504 in place.

Who tests your kids sugar at school and processes what to do with the numbers?

For the first two weeks my husband or I would go to the school twice a day to test Samantha's (5yrs old and in 1st grade) sugar. This past week we had her sister (6th grade) do it once and text us the number so we could decide if action was needed and we came back the other time. Yesterday when her sister tested her she was in the 60's, so she gave her a little gummy snack, stayed and tested her again about 15 minutes later. My daughter was really nice about it, but did mention it was a bummer that she missed her recess and hanging out with her friends.

The school has been kind and says they are willing to accomodate us, but ultimately I get the feeling that they want us to figure out the D care on our own-the nurse is there once a week. It's hard because we can't get anything accomplished because we have to go back to the school and I certainly don't like her sister feeling like she's missing recess or anything.

As I mentioned before she's not on insulin at school because her needs aren't much thanks to her honeymooning, I don't even want to think what it's going to be like when she needs injections.

2. KHM

KHM Approved members

If there's only an RN in the school one day per week, is there an Aide there when the nurse is not?

Our school has an RN/tech model---when the nurse isn't there the tech does what she's able to do by law. That doesn't include injections but it DOES include blood glucose checks and processing the numbers. In truth, Lindsay goes to the health room and does the checks herself but either the RN or the Aide makes note of the number and we're working on a response plan...this would allow the Aide to give rapid glucose for lows but wouldn't allow her to give insulin corrections for highs...

We don't yet have a plan for what will happen when the RN isn't there and Lindsay needs insulin. Its beginning to feel like a cat/mouse game: they're waiting for me to say I'll come do all the injections when the nurse isn't there and I'm waiting for them to say how they're going to make sure she gets her insulin when the nurse is at her other schools. I feel badly for being kind of hard nosed about it, especially because I know the nurse has T1s at her two other schools but you know---there are times when I absolutely can NOT get to school and there are times when I simply would like to do something else. And I think our school is obligated to provide care for her.

Lindsay already missed one day of school this week because I was too sick to go give injections and the nurse wasn't going to be in our school. Surely the Principal won't tolerate much of this. Right? Please?

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Liz Im glad that the school is being kind about things but the fact is, is that they HAVE to accomadate your daughters needs. They have absolutely no choice in the matter. I dont want you to ever think that your daughters diabetes care is your responsibility while she is in school. Your responsibilities while she is there are, making sure that they have all the supplies necessary to manage her diabetes appropriately while shes there, provide them with a healthcare plan so that they know what her needs are. They are responsible for finding someone to care for her while shes there, either a nurse or an aide or another staff member who will be trained in her diabetes care. Your older daughter is very mature and sweet for taking care of her little sister:cwds: But the school should be ashamed of itself for even allowing that. It sounds like the administration is trying to shirk its duties to your daughter. Do you have a 504 meeting arranged yet?

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Here are some links telling you both what your rights are under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. If your children go to public school they have these rights.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0q_100.htm

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0q_600.htm

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0q_500.htm

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

I hope these help. Sometimes schools are genuinely ignorant of where their responsibilities lie and other times I think they know but dont want to comply because it costs money or because staff members dont want to volunteer to be trained. I say tough patooie, Its your job, deal with it. The above links can be printed and brought to the school and you can get in touch with the American diabetes association for more info about your childs rights in school.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think kudos to the big sister for stepping in but I would absolutely 100% STOP letting the school put that burden on the big sister. There is no way that is right - it is fine for an emergency but not as the routine. Otherwise they need to hire the big sister and pay her $40K+ a year plus benefits to run the health room.:rolleyes: Or they need to start paying you to come up there.

I know California is messed up with getting diabetes care at schools but the school needs to step up. They cannot require anyone to come and provide the care and they certainly cannot expect another CHILD to be responsible when she is supposed to be in school herself.

I suggest contacting the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES and get their free school discrimination kit. There is a form in there to fax back to them to get some help from the national office (via phone) or from a local volunteer school advocate. The ADA is very interested in California so they definitely want to hear from parents there in a situation like yours.

6. januaryblue

Ack! I hate confrontation, my first response is to run away, maybe homeschool her. Just kidding, I'm trying to go to school myself, so that's not an option.

There is no health aide there, just the school nurse once a week. There are two office ladies, one that I have found to be much nicer then the other. The not so nice office lady already flaked on me once in regards to D care. I had been at school for a couple hours helping in class and then trying to get a stubborn little low (60's again) to a decent number. I asked her to please get a message to my oldest daughter to test Sam at lunchtime since I had already been there so long. She said that was no problem. I never got a text from my oldest so I went back down to the school. The lady said she got busy and forgot, that's when I told her we need to get this 504 done (I sent in a request in July and school has now been in session since Aug 18). Samantha, trying to be a good girl, had tested herself, but at this point the numbers don't mean much to her.

Also, side note, we did end up cutting her lantus back a bit because she barely eats at school and so that should help with the lows.

7. januaryblue

Your post came through as I was writing mine. I'll check into all that, thanks.