- advertisement -

Blood pressure

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), May 2, 2013.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Would you be concerned with two blood pressures in a row (At different Dr. visits two weeks apart) being 130/80 and 133/80? Or is that normal for a 17 year old athlete? The first time he was sick and not breathing great. But the second time he was fine...

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

more info on the second time?

3. Heather(CA)

He had a follow up appt. for his shoulder so they did a routine BP and it was 133/80.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My husband has high BP with Dr. visits, and he also has a high tolerance for pain.

I have seen his BP be over 140 just from pain, pain that when asked he would not say it was more than a 2 on a scale of 1-10. But after a physical check of his body and manipulation the Dr would say that he should be in more pain than he is telling and that the BP will most likely come down at home and with meds.

"white coat" is what i think the Dr. called an elavated BP from a Dr visit.

And I know that he has been to the Dr. before, but could he have been nervous about the outcome of the checkup? might he had been worried about his progress?

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You also have to take into consideration the time of day(is he coming from a sport, or school was it a stressful day) and if any caffeine was ingested prior to the visit. I know if I have an appointment in the am, mine is always elevated slightly because I've just had a cuppa (or two).

If you are concerned I'd talk to the doc they might want to do periodic checks, or have you do it yourself.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Those blood pressure readings are fine. If they have been lower before then the thing to do is keep track of blood pressure readings for a month and then see what happens but the readings are fine for now.

7. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

You could always have him check it at the pharmacy or get an at home monitor if it's possibly the Dr. visit that elevates it.

My brother had high blood pressure in high school (had to quit football) and for whatever reason it went back to normal and has been since. He is 46.

8. Heather(CA)

OK thanks everyone :)

9. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

My 11.5 year old is on Lisinopril for high blood pressure for over a year now.
    There isn't a simple "target number" for kids, it's measured as or higher than 95 percent of children who are the same sex, age and height. I'm not sure what age that goes up to / when they start using the adult range.

10. Heather(CA)

Seth will be 18 in July. It's just weird to me because my BP is on the low side 110/70 and he is an athlete. I will keep my eye on it though..

11. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Was it a manual or automatic reading? Andrew's top number was regularly pushing 130 at the endo. I was worried about it, even though they told me not to. Then he had a check up at the pediatrician, and his number was around 112 for the first time EVER! I was surprised, so they asked how it was being read at the endo (automatically at endo and manual at ped). Now we have a note in his file to always take Andrew's BP manually, and his BP is fine at the endo now too.