- advertisement -

Blood pouring out of site after removal?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sariana, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sariana

sariana Approved members

Caedence has been on a pump for more then a year now and we have had very little issue with sites. Tonight was the day that we were supposed to change her inset, but she complained of pain at the site when we gave her insulin for Breakfast. I looked and it seemed ok, not really red or anything. We decided to change it when we got home. When she removed the patch that was hurting her, blood came out! Not just a little either, it dripped down her belly! No wonder it was hurting her.

Has anyone else experienced this? We put pressure on it until it stopped, and then placed a bandaid with neosporin on it to cover it. Any ideas?

2. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We've never had this happen (yet), but I've seen another child with a "gusher", as they're known, which can bled profusely for a long time. It was actually kind of scary. I've heard lots of other people talk about them, too. It's just a quirk of where the set is placed, and may or may not ever happen again.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's happened to me a few times (6 or 7?) in two years of pumping. Sometimes there's a bit of a lump there afterwards and usually a small bruise, but they're nothing serious, just means you hit a larger blood vessel than usual.

4. sariana

sariana Approved members

ACK! that is what I figured... is there nothing that these poor kids can have that is normal? Sorry, just kind of frustrated :(

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

most likely the site got bumped or moved some how and nicked a blood vessel, causing it to bleed.. if you had left the site in longer you probably would have started to see blood in the cannula.. thats always freeky!

6. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

amb got a bleeder yesterday...it happens more with the site on her legs.

it is a pain...have to start over with a new inset

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

lol. dd did not leak or drip but an actual stream of blood came spouting out of her!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I was shocked and grabbed a napkin to apply pressure, but when I looked up at her she just laughed. Then I laughed. We sure didn't expect that! I felt like a little dutch boy plugging up a dam. I mean it was literally a stream of blood shooting out of her.

It's only funny since we are both now incapable of being grossed out. :D No biggy though, it just bruised and that was it.

8. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Aaron just had his first one of these after 3 and a half years of pumping. Same experience, blood just pouring out.

What a trooper your little girl is. Lots of kids would have been really upset!

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yep, a gusher. We've only had one, but I"m glad I knew about it ahead of time because I would have been a bit freaked out. They stop bleeding pretty quickly, but it does seem to be a LOT of blood.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've only had one gusher, but it was a bit freaky. I'm glad I had read about them on here before we had one, because it was a lot of blood!

11. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I get one every once in a while.. it even happens on MDI. The curious thing is that they don't always leave bruises for me.. I think it depends on if you hit that vein "just right" so that it only leaks outwards, not inside :p

12. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I've had a couple of gushers before, the last one I didn't notice, but my son did. He said, "Uh, dad? There's blood oozing out of your shirt."

It took a while to get it to stop. First I tried shoving it full of mud and rocks, but that didn't work. Then I tried golf balls, but that seemed silly. So next I....sorry...wrong gusher.

13. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

It took a while to get it to stop. First I tried shoving it full of mud and rocks, but that didn't work. Then I tried golf balls, but that seemed silly. So next I....sorry...wrong gusher.

OMG Thats hilariaous! Thanks!:D

14. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

[​IMG]