- advertisement -

blood ketone strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LauraC, Sep 6, 2014.

1. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Last year my daughter's insurance covered the Precision Xtra blood ketone meter and strips. This year they won't cover them at all. I have submitted a formal grievance twice with our insurance and we just got another denial letter today. Does anyone have tips for getting approval? Her doctor submitted the clinical information necessary but they still won't approve them. Our pharmacy is charging $70 out of pocket for 10 strips which is insane. Is there somewhere I can get them cheaper even if my insurance won't cover them? Thanks for any help!

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

3. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Life with T1D would be so much easier if health insurance companies were not complete asshats!

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The mind boggles why some insurance companies don't cover ketone strips. They are so expensive, I know, but the cost of DKA is very real and much higher! Not just in lives but in dollars.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My insurance company probably would have covered them anyway, knock on wood, but when we first asked for bloodstrips I truthfully made the argument that my daughter only urinated a couple times per day, that it would rarely happen when she needed to test for ketones, and that was the reason we needed bloodstrips and not urine strips. Night time testing is another good reason to need bloodstrips - what child could be waked in the middle of the night to pee on command?

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes and most people assume that we only test ketones with high BG and therefor producing more urine (not the case with my oldest).

I am testing ketones with my youngest to make sure I am giving her enough basal via the pump. with daily testing I have been able to safely up her basal and lower waking "starvation ketones" from almost 1.0 to 0.1-0.3. she has always waken between 80-120 lately.

8. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

+1. Very true. It's all about money.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm an outlier here. I almost never feel the need to check ketones. Our insurance doesn't cover them and I've never really thought of them as a critical item. I know others feel differently.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'll stand here with you in agreement, not a priority item in our household; in fact he only uses urine strips and they cost less than 10 bucks OTC at Walmart and last until they expire. And yes, I do realize urine ketones have a lag time.

We are in the lucky camp of very rarely if ever throwing ketones. If your child throws ketones easily with illness or loss of basal due to failed site or whatever, then I think a blood ketone meter is important. If, like my son, ketones are rare and fairly easy to clear, I think you can go with a cheaper system.

I do have the free meter somewhere around here though, hasn't been needed yet.

11. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Yes when you need 'em you need 'em. So we have a box but hopefully it will remain unused.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We very rarely check ketones. But last year she got some kind of nasty flu resulting in high ketones. The blood strips were worth it. I only keep one pack on hand and the meter was free. Worst case we'd use the regular pee strips. For me it's worth it for the worst case scenario days.

13. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We also have both the blood strips and pee strips, and we rarely need to check for ketones. We like to have the blood strips for if she is high at night time, we can check for ketones without waking her up to pee. My DD always sleep through night time pricks.