- advertisement -

Blood in daughter's urine - really worried

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VikkiMum, Jul 26, 2013.

1. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Hi, Can anyone help? I'm going out of my mind with worry. My daughter who is 8 had blood in her urine and was in a lot of pain when she was passing urine but otherwise feeling ok and BG levels generally good. The doctor (different health system in the UK) said it was a urine infection, prescribed antibiotics and it cleared up - for 1 week, then came back again. They said that the dose of antibiotics couldn't have been strong enough so she was put back on antibiotics only this time double the dose. It cleared up again for 1 week then came back again. They said the dose can't have been for long enough but now I am asking questions.... the doctors are saying it's an unfortunate coincidence but today I called our diabetic team in case there is a link between diabetes and repeated urine infections and the diabetic team are really concerned now about her kidneys. We've been back and forward today between the doctors and the diabetic team and they disagree with each other. She's booked in for a scan on the 8th of Aug which the doctors say is fine but the diabetic team say is not and that this is an urgent case. I'm feeling sick with worry. Swollen kidneys and internal bleeding has all been mentioned. Also now turns out that the urine samples have come back from the lab as containing blood but clear of infection. Apart from when she's going to the toilet, my daughter is feeling absolutely fine. Her levels are overall good, she's not off her food and is looking pretty healthy.
    Can anyone help?? Do you have any suggestions

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

have they looked for kidney stones in her urine? that is what I think of with no bacteria but pain while passing and blood. Have they done other kidney blood tests?

3. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Thanks for your reply. It's nearing midnight here and yes she's just had a blood test done at the hospital, so hope to get the results from that soon.
    Would kidney stones be easily treatable? I just don't understand what we are facing right now - something that can be treated or having to come to terms with some other longterm condition?
    Sorry, am miserable

4. Noel

Noel Approved members

Request a nephrologist....

Blood can be present in the urine even if there is no infection (or if a previous infection has cleared) this has happened to my son. My son did not have kidney stones, but that is what I was thinking as well. I have had kidney stones myself and have experienced pain and blood when going. So it may or may not be stones. (I know no help right?) I apologize because I don't understand how your health system there works but is it possible for you to request to see a nephrologist? (doctor who specializes in the kidneys) I think that they would be the most helpful with giving you information about what could possibly be going on. Please keep us updated when you can.....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Kidney stones, some people get them more easily and can usually be controled either with diet or medication or if that does not work then I think the "blast" them .

Even if it is a problem with kidney function, kidney disease has come along way in more recent years. While it would be disappointing to have another DX for the most part medication and making a few food considerations and follow up is most that is needed. Many people while under medical supervison become symtom free.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would also ask to see a Urologist as well. MY daughter had a urinary tract issue caused by growth as a much younger child. They did a ultrasound of her kidneys.

Since the antibiotics stop the bleeding, I would explore a possible kidney infection or stones. But you definitely need to go a bit beyond the regular doctor.