- advertisement -

blood in cannula on insertion --with pain?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kellykate, May 28, 2012.

1. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

Usually site changes are a non-issue anymore. We are using the Mio inserter and put numbing cream on for about 45 minutes before hand. However today when I put it in my sweet little 2 year old looked over with big eyes and instantly started crying saying "get it off". I held her until she settled down and went to get the baby oil to remove the old site. When I looked at the new site it had filled with blood. So instead of removing the old one I took off the new one and rehooked to the old one. It was nap time so I'll have to put another site in when she wakes up. But can anyone explain what happened? How to avoid it happening in the future. It just makes me sick to hurt her like that! :( And then to have to do it again in a couple hours --ugh!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You just hit a little bleeder of a blood vessel. It happens now and again. Sorry she was upset. Hope the next goes better. :cwds:

3. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

am I correct in thinking it needed to be taken off and redone? Thanks for your help!

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

From our experience bleeders don't deliver insulin well, so they come out. With sites that hurt for some reason, I'll usually ask her to keep it in and check back on whether or not it still hurts. My DD is a lot older and can weigh for herself how much a site is bothering her. But more often than not, if the site really hurt going in, it's in a sensitive spot for some reason, and will continue to be sensitive to movement and bumping.

Since you're using numbing cream, she might not be used to it hurting at all, and for some reason the numbing cream just wasn't as effective as usual.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I agree, bleeders never deliver well, in our experience. Sometimes you hit a bleeder, sometimes a nerve ...it can be tricky to know when to do it over but generally, if I suspect that a site is going to be a problem, it usually is. :cwds:

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

like others said, sometimes it just happens, it happens more for me if I use one area to much. I've had sites I didn't feel at all (and I don't use numbing cream) and sites that hurt so bad I ripped it out the moments after it went in and cried (I'm 17!) they don't happen often though

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son is on the Omnipod but have had similar experiences. We have found that when the insertion is painful that it usually means we've hit a "bad spot". We try a bolus and if that is painful it comes right off, usually to a gusher of blood. :(