- advertisement -

Birth Control Pills?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by obtainedmist, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I hope this isn't a really controversial topic...but I was wondering what the prevailing thought was about the best type for PWD.

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Honestly any are fine, I've been on several different ones over the past 10 years, but be aware that the hormones often cause a bit of insulin resistance, so insulin adjustments may need to be made once starting them.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I like the implanon. just got my older dd on that.

its a implant type thing that lasts 3 years. and is 99effective? I can't remember exactly

but there is not pill to take daily,
    nothing to put in, etc etc

4. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I use the Nuva Ring with no problems and I love it! I don't recommend the implant and neither will my gyno because I haven't had a baby yet, she doesn't recommend the longer term B.C. in till you have conceived or decided you don't want to

5. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I must be the birth control reject here when it comes to diabetes :rolleyes:
    They make me go so high, over 600, I've been on at least five diffrent ones.
    I think it totally depends on the person.

6. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

I sent you a PM about what has worked best for our family and BGs....hope it helps!

7. leeannthill

leeannthill Approved members

I got my tubes tied when I was 31, but during most of the years I was using birth control, I was on Norplant. They stopped making it about 10 years ago, and I'm glad to see from a previous comment that they have a new implant because I loved Norplant.

There were a few years that I used the pill though. The first time was when I was 18-20, and at that time, I never heard of certain pills being recommended over others with diabetes. When my second Norplant expired, because they stopped offering it in the US, I had to pick something else, but my doctor didn't want me on the pill because I was 30. I know there were increased cardio risks with the pill in women over 35 (at least I think that's what it was, don't know if that's still the case), and since D already comes with cardio risks, my doctor wouldn't prescribe it for me. So that's the only issue I know of related to taking the pill with diabetes, but to my knowledge, it isn't an issue for young adults.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

To the original poster, I hope you received helpful information for the question posed.

As for the thread veering off course, it is not for forum members to tell anyone how to treat their diabetes, what medication to take etc. unless a poster expressly asks for that advice. Further, just because efficacy may have been established according to studies, does not necessarily mean it will work for a particular individual. Each person with diabetes is unique and will decide with his/her team how to treat the diabetes.

I do not read all the threads, but as a long time participant of CWD, I am confused why it is that acrimony rears its head when it's simply unnecessary.

The mission of CWD is to provide SUPPORT. Please keep that in mind when you are reading and posting.

9. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

If you decide not to go with hormonal birth control the bible for NFP is "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. Also great for questions about conceiving, or just a good, in-depth survey of the girl side of the birds and bees stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.