- advertisement -

BG reading variations

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Alex's Dad, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Hi guys last night was a crazy one for us. We tested at 4:00 am and it was 389 :eek: o well I retested not a minute later and was 439. On the same hand. My question is how can you get that kind of margin?. We are using the One Touch Ultra mini. :(

We also tested a low it gave us 53 and retest and it was 56.

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We see the same at times. We were told to remember that the accuracy is within a certain percentage of the value. So, if the BG is 100 and it is within 5% then it should read 95-105. If however your child is 400, it would be between 380-420. That combined with possibly a quickly rising BG? We also find HUGE differences with washing hands . . . and some instant hand sanitizers skew our numbers. We use the one touch ping.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It could be several things. Meters have anywhere from a 10-20% variance. Also, she could have been rising fast. It is hard to say.

4. Alex's Dad

That makes sense, I waited 30 min retest and she was 380 again. :(.
    Thank you guys for the info, we are switching to the big meter , just in case.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have you thought about trying the Freestyle? I am not saying it super accurate, but it has worked really well for Danielle. Plus, it needs the smallest sample size of blood in the world, so you can lance a little lighter and only get a small drop of blood. Just a thought.

6. diabetesgoddess

diabetesgoddess Approved members

I have had big differences when the meter is dying but as someone mentioned, there is variance and sadly that is within what is "allowed". Use a meter that you have confidence in.

7. Alex's Dad

We have been using this meter for a month now....do you think is a battery problem???

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Variance is well known to be around 20% depending on brand. 20% of 389 is 78 points.

This is why, if I get a really high number, I will usually retest and treat based on the lower number. The meter error is much higher the higher BG is, so you might be adding a lot of unnecessary insulin to correct it.

9. Alex's Dad

Good to know, I think that was what happen to us last night.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I honestly think the strips play a part in the accuracy of the #. We don't have a lot of variation with the OneTouch, but the Freestyle strips we use for the Navigator show a TON of difference. I can tell with just 1 or 2 strips that the vial is gonna be good or not.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I highly recommend the Accu-Chek Aviva. In 2 years, I've never seen a variation like that with a recheck unless there were dirty fingers on the first try. The One Touch that came with our pump...well, it appeared to produce numbers at random when he was in the high ranges. :rolleyes:

12. Alex's Dad

Thats the one we started using but then we got the One Touch, I dont know if it was our endo that prescribe it or the insurance.