advertisement

bg range for children

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Feb 13, 2008.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

How do you determine your bg range that you aim for? I've been aiming for 100-150, depending on whether or not it's a gymnastics day and whether or not it's bedtime. I just got some of my paperwork out from the hospital, though, and my endo had written on there:

"target range of 80-120"

Is this more of what I should be aiming for? 80 seems too low to me for a very active 9 year old - I'll be scared to death if she hangs out at that too much. Take today for example. My daughter went outside this morning and pogo-sticked for the better part of an hour. Came in for about an hour to work on some schoolwork, went back outside to jump on the trampoline for almost an hour...she practices her gymnastics out there and runs around with her older brothers. Came in, ate lunch, two hours later - right now - she is back on the trampoline jumping with a neighbor. We leave in 15 minutes for her to do 2 1/2 hours of gymnastics.

What do you think would be a good target for us? She isn't quite this active every day, but if it's over 60 degrees outside and not raining, this is her day. I have to make her sit down to do schoolwork!

Thanks!

2. jendean

jendean Approved members

No no no. I mean, well, yeah...
    Actually that endo seems to need an update, the new "normal" is 60-110.
    Now, where I work, almost nobody feels normal at a bg of 75, so we treat anyway, even though its "not required"
    They have to put numbers there, but as nurses, and moms, and caretakers of those with D, and those of us with D, we laugh at them.
    If you try to keep it there, you will be going low a lot more than you want to, and you can do serious damage with that.

whenever I hear that, I have a good laugh and remember that my son has diabetes, and though we can control some of it, we cannot control the numbers that tightly.
    That is just crazy. :cwds:

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

We consider 80-120 to be the "zone of perfection", and we do aim for it. That having been said, we aim for 150 before practices and 120-130 at bedtime. DD is active, though maybe not quite as active as your daughter. It should be noted that DD is great at feeling her lows, and will almost always catch them in the 50s to 60s range - our targets would be significantly higher if she didn't feel them.

A higher target range carries less risk of lows, but greater long-term risk of complications. Like much in life, there is a trade-off that we have to assess and decide on. A key question is whether your daughter feels her lows, AND whether she will take a break from a fun activity to either let you know or eat something..

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

We are 80 - 150; soon to move to 70 - 120...scary stuff! My daughter feels low at 65, so I will not ever consider 60 to be a target.

5. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

She does feel her lows, although what she usually feels is falling bg, versus an actual low. Sometimes she just feels the low. She's been as low as the 30s before she felt it, though. Most of the time she's around 100 when she doesn't like the way she feels, and if I don't treat it, in 15 minutes she'll be in the 60s.

6. alismom

alismom Approved members

Our endo told us to keep Allison's target between 80-180, due to her workout schedule. Even at 180, Allison has to eat hourly at the gym and we still have 2 am lows. I know you are going to be pumping soon (like us) and we can't wait to be able to set a lower basal rate for gym nights. I think this will help both of us.:

7. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Hi Jennifer! I think most of us were very uncomfortable with numbers below 100 in the beginning, too. however, on "active" days, it is certainly safer to keep those numbers up, and 150 isn't all that high.

When Brian heads into the gym, I am comfortable with him being any number over 100, because when we disconnect, he no longer gets the basal. On injections, I always felt like I was fighting the insulin and feeding, feeding, feeding...

Talk to your endo about your range, and I'm sure that as time marches on, you will feel comfortable in a lower range.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

The Endo determined it...From dx'd (at 7) until the age of 11 Seth's target was 80-150, now that he's older it's 70 to 150.:cwds:

9. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

80-180 here!

Our endo told us 80 - 180 and to be honest I usually shoot for 120-130 when she has no fast acting and is playing hard - when she has fast acting I prefer her closer to 180!

For example yesterday she got a 20 gram covered snack at 3pm and by 5:00 she was 47:eek:... ohe yeah and she NEVER feels her lows:eek:

Hoping that will change and we will try for tighter control but until then.... we run probably a little higher than some.

10. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Oh my goodness even as old as Chell is (she is 18 Today), I dont think I would ever shoot for her range to be 60. If we can get them between 80-150, thats good. Because of they hypoglcemic unawareness her Endo would not like anything under 80.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We just had an endo appointment today, and on the sheet they gave us when we left, they had Jack's target numbers at 80-120 before meals and 100-180 two hours after meals. The thing is, those are only rough guidelines. I know that if he was anywhere from 100-120 two hours after a meal, he'd go low in another couple of hours, so our own actual guideline for two hours after meals is really more like 130-200. And sure, 80-120 would be great before meals, but I don't know if we're there even 25% of the time. They're just guidelines, and YOU know your child best. If those guidelines aren't healthy/possible for your child, take them with a grain of salt.

12. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

To me, when I think of what it means to be in a good range, I ask myself "what is the range of BG's where nothing bad will start to happen to Jacob's body?"
    So for me that range is probably 60-180.

The goal then would be to aim for the midpoint of that range, which is 120.

13. khannen

khannen Approved members

I have Shealyn target BG on her pump set at 120. She just turned 4 yrs old a few weeks ago. As to her 'range', I set the CoPilot settings at anything from 80-200. It's just where I'm most comfortable with her sitting at. Since her A1c is 7.0, I'm happy! I just don't like her lower than 80... she's not steady at that point and I know she'll crash fast.

14. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Brandon's is supposed to be 100-150, but we are rarely there. He is so active that if I let him go play at 120, he'd be low in a heartbeat. He also takes gymnastics, and I definitely won't let him on the floor if he's not above 140. He is usually around 180 before practice. That being said, I've noticed that he tends to go higher during practice, and then drops in the evening. So, I tend to lower his insulin on gym nights. He is currently going one hour twice a week, but will soon be going to 2 hour classes. We'll have to see what adjustments need to be made.

15. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

Our CDE just changed my sons target from 80-120 to 80-100.

My sons numbers seem to be holding him steady but could be lower. We'll see what happens.:eek: