- advertisement -

BG Meter sets off theft alarm?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Nov 29, 2008.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

Has anyone had their meter set off the alarm at the door to stores? My wife set off the "theft alarm" at two stores today and the only thing we could find in her purse that would have caused this is Carter's Accu-Check meter? Has this happened with anyone else?

2. beaniesmom

beaniesmom Approved members

Oh. My. Goodness. All the time!!! In fact, my kids are always shocked when I don't, "Mama, you didn't set off the alarm this time!" They're not quiet either. We get enough looks when the alarm goes off, but when the kids make their anouncement...

The employees sometimes look up as we come in and I try to wave and say, "it's me:rolleyes:". That way, when I leave I don't get chased out for "shoplifting."

I asked at the pharmacy once, she said she had never heard of that happening. Here I was thinking I was special.

What kind of meter do you have? We use the Aviva.

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We have not had it happen yet. Kaleb uses the Ping.

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I guess being Deaf has its advantages. If my meter sets off the alarm I would never know. hehe

5. buggle

buggle Approved members

Yes -- it happened to us with an Aviva. But, only once that I remember. We used an Aviva for the first few months. We use a Freestyle Lite now and it hasn't happened with it. There may be something about an Aviva that sets up certain alarms at certain sensitivities. When I beeped going into the store, I was worried about setting it off going out. I was going to go tell an employee before we left, but we decided to try and it didn't beep on the way out. I have no idea why...

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I use the precision and I'm always setting off alarms! I was wondering what was up with that. Most of the time employees just look at me and nod, I think some stores alarms are more sensitive-like kohls and walgreens.

7. TimO

TimO Approved members

Yep, it's an Aviva. Freestyle doesn't set it off.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Are you sure it's the meter?

I ask this, but my DH kept setting off alarms, until one guard asked him to show him his wallet. Well, somewhere inside the wallet was a tiny whatchamacallit that was not properly scanned when he bought the wallet, and it was that which kept making the alarms go off. It was hidden within the seams of the wallet.

9. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

That used to happen to me all the time. Then my mom's d cousin informed us that the boxes of strips have a security tag inside of them. So if you're carrying boxes of strips check inside the bottom of the box.

10. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Haven't had that issue. Though we sometimes forget to cut out the sewn in labels from places like Old Navy. LOL

11. TimO

TimO Approved members

StillMamamia - you're right. I looked in her purse and she has an extra box of Accu-chek strips in there with the bar in the bottom of the box. She doesn't always have them in there so I bet that's it.