- advertisement -

BG before physical activity

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wm8, Dec 3, 2014.

1. wm8

wm8 Approved members

How much do you make sure your kid's BG is at before physical activity? If he is lower than that limit, do you give a snack and let him play right away, or wait till his BG comes up?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It all depends. For in-season, routine practice and games (Field Hockey and Lax) she checks in the locker room and that gives her about 10 min before hitting the field so if she needs a juice or a bar or a banana she has it then and if she feels fine she just dives in. If it's a serious low, under 50, then she might wait an extra 10 min check again and then join in. If she's just on the treadmill or bike at home she looks at her dexcom and just keeps an eye on that without much waiting. The thinking being that she's in the house with juice handy so she'll stop and treat if she feels the need. If she running on the road we're a little more cautious with testing, treating, waiting, rechecking and bringing a roll of tabs.

3. wm8

wm8 Approved members

Thanks for the reply! Yes, by "physical activity", I meant sport classes such as swimming or karate, which last about 45 minutes.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Swimming would be more like a road run, in that I'd be more cautious. It also depends a lot on how well your child feels their lows and how confident they are to step out in they feel off. Really, it's what feels safe and what's logistically realistic. :cwds:

5. wm8

wm8 Approved members

We already have the Dex, so I will likely know when he is low, but I am not sure how fast they drift down while playing, as we are still new to D. So let us say if he starts at 100, is that safe enough to continue playing without interruption?

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Exercise can do one of two things: it can cause a low from burning glucose or it can cause a high from adrenaline spikes (who says diabetes hasn't got a sense of humor?:tongue:) For swimming I'd want my kid a bit higher (120) because the cold water and the workout tends to increase the drop and because it's water and suddenly feeling low in the middle lap lane would suck. For a class or a field sport I think 100 is fine as long as there is no IoB. But in truth you are just going to have to experiment and maybe keep a little sports journal so that you can see how the sports might differ and remember what happened last week.

Good luck!

7. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

My son had soccer GAMES in the morning once a week on Saturday. After breakfast he tends to run a little high but the exercise really shaves off that morning spike. It is not as pronounced, but he stays 150-200 for the game and an hour or two after. The bigger issue for us has been the amazing drops a few hours after the game is over, and then the relatively low numbers for two or three days afterwards (for a diabetic).

Now at soccer PRACTICE, he drops like a rock. So he could be 150, and 30 minutes later in the 60's/70's. So before practice starts its a few ounces of gatorade, and a run over to his dex when they take breaks to see where he is at. just about the same amount of exercise, but less emotion. The same lows threaten afterwards, and then decent steady lines for a couple days after practice.

8. GChick

GChick Approved members

It also depends on if you are pumping or MDI.

When I was MDI I'd have to make sure I was AT LEAST at 180 before starting a Karate class and preferred 200 (I have seen a drop before from 260 before class to 46 mid-class... but that's unusual and cannot be accounted for in a typical "plan").

Right now while pumping I cut my basal by about 40% an hour before class and then another +/-25% a half-hour before class (its built into a profile, so no need to temp basal) and then I disconnect for the hour and a half class (0% basal). I still haven't figured out the "perfect" number to start with, but for me I think its somewhere around a "steady" 130 (a not just eaten or not just bloused 130, which makes it hard to pin down.) I'd say I still have to drink a lil juice in at least 40-50% of classes, but I tend to rather that than to start off high and then get insanely high (which is so easy when disconnected).

If I don't have to treat mid-class I tend to have good #s after class, but when I do need some juice, I tend to be a lil high after cus I just want to hurry up and get back to it, so often end up overtreating.

But everyone is different and in particular children, so there will definitely be some trial and error.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

No real life experience but I just asked our endo because basketball starts next month. My son is MDI and before games/practices it was recommended to try and be at 150-180 about an hour before hand. He could adjust as needed and with time he'd figure out his own sweet spot to where he felt and performed best. Practice, with a steady level of aerobic excursion - he could expect to drop. He recommended the glucose tabs as being the easiest and fastest way to get back up to where he needs to be if he gets to low. He will eat lunch right after practice so we need to keep that in mind. Games would depend - quick bursts of high intensity activity (Anaerobic exercise) and/or higher adrenaline could lead to a blood sugar rise. I asked about correcting for that or letting it come down and he just said be careful with the corrections. It may trickle down and if you correct you may end up chasing your tail with lows/highs/lows/highs. We'll see how that goes I guess.

Still a lot of unknowns!

10. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello wm8:

The easiest method is to make sure there is a blood sugar BUFFER is in place, which the particular activity will be able to eat through, with no harm to anybody. A hundred points is fairly common. Target plus a hundred points, means there is zero problem while doing whatever strenuous activity is needed.

The lowering of whatever approach one uses to get insulin into the body by 20% is also very typical. So that the insulin coverage is lite too.

As for karate, what activity are you seeking to protect against? Feed us lightly, before class begins, lower the insulin coverage then let us do whatever is asked of us...

What style are we looking at?