- advertisement -

better numbers with shots vs pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by theamusingredhead, Apr 15, 2011.

1. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

Oliver's pump malfunctioned and the company forgot to send it out (?:confused:) so he has better receiving injections since Tuesday evening. He is thrilled to be off the pump. His numbers are much better on injections. We were greatly increasing his basal (he was running in the 300s a lot) so perhaps it is a coincidence but I am interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

Thank you for reading. :cwds:

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

It's certainly possible to have very good numbers on MDI, and a good number of families on here have proven that. I can't personally speak to doing better on MDI than a pump, because we've never used one. I'll be interested to see what responses you get.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How long had he been running in the 300s, and how long has he been pumping? I've had to give my daughter a rest in a few spots because of fatty deposits forming under the skin. The insulin wasn't absorbing as well and was causing problems with highs. Are you injecting in areas you weren't using for pump sites?

If he's thrilled to be off, and you're getting better results now, it seems like a good time for a break.

4. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Lucas has beenon the pump since June 2005. During that time he has taken 2 "pump holidays". Both times his numbers were better with MDI. I am sure that is not the case for everyone or that MDI is better for control. I just think that for some people one or the other works better and maybe even a change in regimine sometimes helps.

Lucas has never been crazy about the pump. He feels that he is "tied to diabetes" when he wears it and that he can never forget about it for a few minutes because of the constant reminder. I found that he forgot about it way to much ;) since insulin was so handy he often bolused for food without remembering to check his bg. Obviously this is frowned upon and causes higher numbers, but it was a reality none the less. With MDI he has to go into the kit to get the insulin so he is not forgetful or resistant to checking bg. That alone helps the numbers.

So on a case by case basis MDI could help lower numbers. I try and let him direct the course of his treatment because he haas to live with it a lot longer than I do and I want him to feel empowered to make changes he feels are in his best interest (obviously this is tempered with parental input).

5. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Also, we too found that fatty deposits were a problem with absorbtion. He will only put a site on his ab or lower back. That doesnt leave a whole lot of room for rotaion. MDI gave him freedom to change injection locations every time and i do think that has helped him a lot.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

If it ain't broke. . . :) Frankly, the #1 reason we opted for the pump was b/c her #s were screwy and I couldn't fix them. The pump offers lots of other perks and options but frankly if he is doing well and is happy then I wouldn't mess with it.

It's possible absorption issues were messing him up--or maybe his body just likes and responds better to lantus or whatever long acting :confused: Either way, it sounds like a blessing! Great #s and a happy kid!

7. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Miranda had better A1c's when she was on shots, in the 6's, now 7.5. I think looking back though we had way too many lows on shots and we just progressed to the pump, she wasn't complaining really. I do agree also with the absorbtion rate as Miranda only uses each butt cheek, tried the tummy but dosen't like it there so her little cheeks can get tough. If I ever have to give her a shot to bring down a high high I'll poke her in the arm and within an hour I can see a huge diffrence in her number falling as opposed to giving her that same bolus through the pump. I have started to use the pump for a high by bolusing and then upping the basal by using temp basal and I can see it working faster so thats good.

Good luck..

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

It's really hard to look at the results if you take into consideration user error or misjudgement. Some kids probably are better suited to MDI vs. the pump because they forget to bolus or do a bg check before dosing. I can totally understand not wanting to go through all the rigamaroll and it's just so easy to bolus and move on...or not bolus and move on. I'm sure it can be quite a problem with the teens. And, there are some here who actually test between meals with MDI and correct---so they are getting better results. I guess it's your level of comfort that dictates the decision, not to mention the increased cost of the pump and supplies.

9. theamusingredhead

ahhhhh

He has been running high for weeks. We would get him a little better for a few days and he would be flying again.

Oliver only wants the pump site on his bottom. I do try to "fan it out" into new areas of his backside. Perhaps that is a big part of it? He also is playing outside more that it is finally warming up in NY. Somehow I feel like the Lantus works better with him.

I thought the pump would help us get more control but his AIC is absolutely horrible, I am scared. I do 90% at least of the diabetes care.

Thank you for the input everyone!

10. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

This is the exact problem we had. The endo said he could not use his back or stomach for six months and if he wouldn't try new sites he would have to go MDI. He chose MDI an our numbers have been much better. I think part of the reason is that we are back to writing everything on a log sheet. We stopped doing this on the pump and I thinlk it really narrowed our view of what was going on.

He has felt more free not lugging around all the devices. He also took a break from the dex but will wear it every now and then if we are making changes.

The numbers have also been better because he is working with the nurse. Without the dex he has to do a real blood check and has to go back after eating to do the shot. This makes sure he is getting the correct bolus. If he forgets to do his shot after lunch she will pull him out of class.

I really mss the pump but MDI is working better for him at this point.

11. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

Looking at old logs, numbers were better on mdi, but we were experiencing a strong honeymoon. Many of our children started pumping as the honeymoon was ending and, for many of us, highs were becoming a challenge. Just a thought.

12. theamusingredhead

Yes,

honeymoon, something else to consider. The log book is important but I do not do one. We email the #s via diasend to his endo every 4 days so we can adjust. I know if I tell him we cannot do his site on his bottom anymore he will flip out. He is loving getting shots. :eek: He said his site hurts his all the time. We use contact detach. Pump is slated to arrive this morning~ should be interesting.

Thank you again for reading and responding. :cwds: