- advertisement -

Better numbers on arm than bum or leg

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Sep 11, 2008.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

My 5 yo started on the pump in November. From day 1 she only wanted that insertion site on her leg or bum. A couple weeks ago, she wanted to try her arm and loved it! We noticed her numbers were so much better when it was in her arm. Have other people noticed this too? Second issue....
    The problem now is school has started (she's in K). Someone at school asked her what the insertion site was and she came home telling me she wanted it back on her leg/bum so "they couldn't see it". I've done it but the numbers are back up again and I so want to go back to the arm. Any suggestions on either issue? Colleen

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel also loves the arm and we have great numbers there.
    I have done a couple of butt ones since but I've tried to avoid the areas we've 'overused'. I've gone quite a bit higher up the lower back where there doesn't seem to be much 'meat' but they are working very well too. Maybe you can go back to arms in cooler weather when they will be covered by sleeves? :cwds:

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I know that before I figured out about the Bootie being a slow absorbtion area, when I used to give Seth Novolog in his bootie. he needed more insulin per carb for that area...

I would have a "D chat" with her class so that there is no need for questions.

If she still wants it in her bootie, you can just figure out the correct amount of insulin for that area. She should probably be switching site areas anyway right?