- advertisement -

Best way to send carb count lunch/snack note with kindergartner?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cem, Aug 16, 2011.

1. cem

cem Approved members

Starting to trouble shoot kindergarten process for an Omnipoder - any ideas on best way to send this info?
    1. What to write it on?
    2. Where to put it?
    3. How to write it out to make it easiest to adjust for uneaten food?
    4. Do you have them record anything for you when they bolus?
    Anything else I haven't thought of?
    Thanks so much. Hard to manage all of the anxiety!

2. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

pm

sent you a pm

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Will your child be eating packed lunches or hot lunches or both?

4. cem

cem Approved members

Forgot that part!

A packed lunch and a packed afternoon snack. Thank you!

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I pack DD's lunch everday. I made and printed out a slip of paper that has a table for me to list the item and how many carbs it is. Then I total the amount on the bottom so DD knows how much to bolus for. I put the slip of paper in her lunchbox. I use 1/4 sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper for the slips.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I used to send a slip in her meter case that had her snack carbs and lunch carbs on it. If you are using the PDM as your meter, obviously you don't have a case for that, so maybe in with the lunch.

I wrote what each item was in terms of carbs, but honestly, we never had a problem of my daughter not eating everything. I would never use that as an opportunity to experiement with something she didn't like - I always sent something I knew she'd eat.

I always just had the teacher do what the pump wanted to do

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I pack lunch in a brown bag and write the list of items and each carb count on the bag.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I have a pre-printed index card which I stick in his lunch box. It has 5 columns which list days across the top and down the side list the following:
    Snack:
    BG
    CARBS
    Insulin
    Lunch
    BG
    CARBS
    Insulin

when he was in K I would send a small sticky note each day with individual carb counts for each food item and the nurse would check off which things were eaten and what was dosed.

9. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I also do this. I list individually and write the total (wouldn't want him to have to think too much:p)

When Tyler was younger and went to the nurse, I would send him with a slip of paper with the carb count on it ( I would stick it in his pants pocket), the nurse would then write his bg and insulin amount on the paper and he would take that home each day. Luckily for me, he is a creature of habit and would eat almost the same meal each day and always ate whatever was packed for him.

10. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I used to write the total carb count on the brown bag and then write the carb count of each item right on the baggie with a sharpie, so if she didn't eat something they would know how to adjust.

11. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

I put my son's carb counts for lunch and snack on the same small sheet and put in the outside pocket of the PDM. As a backup I would also email the school nurse and cafeteria manager what he was having for lunch...if he was packing I would just let the cafeteria know that. This way if there were any changes to the menu they would let me know and they also made sure that those foods were available (as he got older he had later lunches and sometimes they can run out of an item). Hope that helps!!!

12. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

For T's lunches I use an index card....I note the date at the top then list the foods individually with carbs per item next to it. Then I total the number of carbs at the bottom. That way they know how much each item is worth if she doesn't eat something. The card goes in her lunch bag. It looks like this:

8/16/2011

Chips 14 carbs
    Grapes 12 carbs
    Sandwich 15 carbs
    Cookie 10 carbs

Total 51 carbs

They have standing instructions to add carbs for milk if she has milk.

13. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Our sheet looks the same way. I just use the narrow tablets charities send out with return address labels.....now I love the tablets. I keep a stock of them for each school year plus they are usually seasonal designs!!! (Wish you could here my tone b/c I am soooo not crafty!!!);)

14. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

I just sent my kindergartener to school for the first time last week. :) I have a great form that I got from a friend, and then adjusted to our needs. It's a Word document, and I include it in his diabetes case that I drop off with the nurse each morning. It has individual carb counts of everything he eats (in case he doesn't finish) and spaces for them to write in the insulin/BG for each time he gets checked. PM me if you would like me to email it to you!

15. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

I write the food and carb values in a hard covered spiral notebook. When my d enters the building she stops off and drops the notebook off at the nurses office on the way to her class. Whatever has gone on during the day is writen on the bottom part of the notebook (BG's, food eaten, lows, etc.) and at the end of the day the nurse photocopies the page for her notes and sends the book back with my d at the end of the day when she has her last BG check. This way I know what has happened during the day and the nurse knows all the food that was brought in for the day (lunch and snack). This has worked great for five years now and the nurse has the other d students do the same.

16. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I write down the carb info on an index card and put it in a pocket in the lunch bag. example-sandwich- 35, 5 crackers- 10, apples-15, etc. For snack, I put it in Gladware and use a sticky label to write the carb info on and put it in a separate pocket from the lunch so he doesn't get confused. It made it really simple and worked well for us.

Our nurse just emails me his blood sugars and the happenings of the day. I love it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  17. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

This what we do, too. Doesn't get lost that way. ;)

18. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I use a Word document on a half sheet of paper, printed two to a page. We use it when we are eating out, for babysitters, and when she is staying with family or friends.

The top has her name, a space to write the date, and circle the meal.

It has a row where the BG and the amount of the pre-meal bolus can be recorded (we generally prebolus 30g every meal, but for lunch at school, we'll use a lower amount). It has a note reminding that the code on the PDM needs to match the code on the vial of strips, because often the school vial and our home vial are different codes.

Then there are three columns, one for the food item, one for the carbs, and another for carbs actually eaten. DD does not always eat all of her lunch.

The bottom has a space for the subtotal, a place to subtract the premeal bolus, and a place to record the remaining carbs and amount of the bolus.

The bottom includes her Targets, I:C ratios, and Correction Factor. That has been helpful a couple of times when there has been an issue with a pod and DD has gotten an injection at lunch instead of a bolus through the pump.

I add the revision date at the bottom.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It all fits in a simple Word table -- my mom, sister, and the school nurse all seem to find it easy to use.

19. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

cute labels

I generally just write the carb count on each individual item with a Sharpie marker, but when dd takes a thermos with leftovers or soup (and the carb count varies from day to day depending on what I fill the thermos with), I just tape one of these adorable labels on. It's from a Disney/type 1 page that has really cute labels you can print out. :)

http://family.go.com/parenting/pkg-type-1-diabetes/article-1013476-stickers-printables-t/

20. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I was dx'd in HS, so I was able to read the labels on pre-packaged things, but I usually wrote the rest directly on the baggie or package in Sharpie.