- advertisement -

Best way to handle a cruise with pump and CGM?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jasonk320, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Jasonk320

Jasonk320 Approved members

I know that there are a lot of cruise threads but I didnt see anything about a good strategy for pump/CGM ets.

Anyway We are relatively new pumpers and brand new (Enlite) CGM users.
    My concern is that our 6 year old D will want to swim all day everyday and that the CGM and pump site may not stay on even for one day.

We thought about not using CGM, use Lantus for basal every 24 hours and use the pump just for bolusing? That way we just hook it up for food while we are at the pool or beach. She really doesnt like the shots and we would have to give a lot with snacks and meals.

Anybody have any other suggestions with being in the water a lot, or any experience with a pump site staying in place with a lot of swimming?

I would hate for the CGM to fall off in the ocean and lose the transmitter, at least the pump site isn't a big deal if it falls off. Also I hate to put on the CGM every evening after she's done swimming - gets expensive.

Any recommendations would be great, also if anyone knows if Norwegian cruise line can give us a pager or something if we drop her off at kids club for a couple of hours?

Thanks for the advice - first real vacation with D
    Jason

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I can tell you NCL has pagers. They are generally for the age 2 -4 group, but they'll give you one for a 6 year old under the circumstances.

I hadn't thought about changing our routine for our next cruise. After reading your post, I've thought about it, and for us, I don't think it would be worth the hassle to change things out. My kids swim every day and have beach days at most ports on cruises, but I would say they are only in the water half a day at best - they enjoy the sports court, minigolf, and all the other activities on the ship too. Most evenings are spent outside the pool watching movies, going to the shows or being in the kids club. You've now got me a little freaked about the cgm transmitter, so I'm thinking that when she's in the ocean, we'll wrap it in vet wrap or something to make sure it stays on.

But your child maybe very different - so take my opinion only for what it's worth.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I have a 6 and a 9 year old, and when we are on a similar vacation, we usually only swim for a couple of hours at a time. I mean, you have to eat and sleep and certainly there are a lot of other activities on cruises too. ;) Jack can be unhooked for up to two hours without a disaster resulting. We usually have to replace some basal at about 1.5 hours, and when we hook him back up, we do a 200% temp basal for an hour, and sometimes a random bolus of a unit or so. But it's not too big of a mess.

We keep sites on with opsite. You have to put it on well before you swim, though. If you do it right before the pool, it will peel right up. If we were going to swim in the ocean with the CGM on (which we would, because he always wears his CGM), I would use opsite, and I would also wrap his arm with vet wrap.

Have fun!

4. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We cruised and swam at the beach for hours with a cgm. We only had to do our one scheduled sensor change. Get the big 4x4 patches of tegaderm. That has more coverage and we didn't have issues with that. We brought lots of extra though. You could try some skintac too. We checked the tape regularly, at all test breaks, suntan lotion breaks, drink breaks.

I know people cruise without cgms all the time, but it was an invaluable tool, and it was worth it to try to make it work. Just check it frequently if you do decide to keep it.

Have fun :)

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I took my daughter at 6 she did not swim much she had to much fun in the kid zone with counselors.i had a pager if she wanted me she had them call.

6. Jasonk320

Thanks for all of the advice. So you put the Tagederm/Opsite right over the entire CGM and do you need unisolve or something to get that off easily?

We've got the infusion site IV3000 for that - seems like that is the same as Tegaderm or Opsite.

Thanks

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Yep :cwds: You put it over the entire CGM site. I wouldn't use IV3000; that is very different from opsite and horrible in water in my experience. You can get opsite for $20 or so for a roll that lasts forever on amazon.

Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-...ie=UTF8&qid=1387740754&sr=8-1&keywords=opsite

I just pull it off but tacaway or unisolve wipes work well too.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, IV3000 is horrible in water in our experience. Of all the tapes, Opsite works the best for us, and is the most economical.

9. Jasonk320

Thanks, are you guys just using the 2" opsite tape or using the large squares and cutting a hole for the infusion site?

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

2 inch roll. When I used the medtronic sensors I just covered the whole thing with 2 strips, each about 2 inches long. For infusion sets I just fold a rectangle (2 by 1 inch) in half and then cut a tiny semi circle out. The circle goes over the plastic part of the infusion set so I can disconnect easily.

11. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Also a tip I found out the hard way on my first post D cruise. I wouldn't leave your extra insulin in the cabin fridge. They are notorious for freezing and bad thermostats. Froze all my spare insulin. Lucky I had enough out for the trip. I now take my spare insulin to the medical center where they will gladly keep in in their temp controlled fridge which is attached to the emergency generator.

12. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We didn't refrigerate ours, since it's fine out of the fridge for 30 days before tossing. We just kept it with the rest of our supplies, with the date written on it that we took it out of our fridge at home. After 30 days (well after we got home) we threw it out. But we were told that we could keep it in their fridge as well.

13. dpr

dpr Approved members

We have a boat so we do the all day swimming thing a lot. I have had good luck bolusing for half her basal per hour as soon as she takes her pump off and then boulsing that same amount every 45 minutes. It may or may not work for you but it's a place to start. Good luck.

14. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We went on a cruise two weeks after starting on the pump. It was a little nerve wracking, but we did fine.
    We took tons of supplies, including back up pens and levemir.

My son always drops with swimming, so it was not a problem to disconnect him for an hour or two. We often had to carb him up, even with the pump being off. We ended up changing pump sites almost every day, with all the water time.

He wears the Dexcom sensor on his arm. We always tape it down with Hypafix anyway. We wrapped his arm with vet wrap for swimming, and we stuck the receiver in a ziplock bag to avoid water & sand. We kept the pump and the Dexcom receiver out of direct sunlight (when they weren't on him) to lessen heat issues.

Have a great time!:D