- advertisement -

Best place for supplies

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by triumph957, Jul 26, 2014.

1. triumph957

triumph957 New Member

With my ds numbers being so random we went through more supplies than usual, and might run out before they ship is his stuff. I want to buy extra supplies so that we don't run into the problem that we had this month, not that we're having an issue yet, I just prefer to be prepared. There's enough going on that I want to take care of the things I can so that when unexpected things happen I don't feel as overwhelmed. Just want to know where the best and fairest prices are. He's on a tslim pump and inset cannula.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

How are your prescriptions written? My daughter's are written to give us some spare for the days when we test A LOT like sick days but to cover testing for activity, etc. I think we get 11 boxes of test strips per 3 months. We don't have a stockpile, but we've never run out either.

Her pump prescriptions are written for changing more often than we usually do. I think they're written for changing every 2 days. If we can, we like 3 days, but there are rip-offs, pod failures, etc., etc. that come into play.

Insulin is written for 100 units per day. Again, she doesn't use that much most days, but there are definitely days with sickness, pod failures, and the like that it is very, very appropriate.

When we've had need of strips for emergency forgets, we've bought cheap-o meters with rebates for the strips.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

The trick is to make sure as said in the last post that your Doc writes it so you get that extra insulin or sites or strips for when it has been a horrible month. So make sure your Doc writes out the prescription on all the stuff for the worst case, the fact that you only use it that way once or twice a year is not important. I do not stockpile or anything else I just know I can get a new supply when needed. If all else fails go generic for strips and meter, insulin try and get the pharmacist to call the Doc or clinic and explain the issue they can get it through, pump supplies are harder but can be done, but always be prepared to use syringes. Ali

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Is it DME medical coverage or RX coverage? have you made sure that Rx is not an option?

5. triumph957

triumph957 New Member

Spoke to the doc today and they changed his prescriptions to 2 day changes. New supplies get shipped today :). He kinda feels free without the pump at times he says. Guess we'll be putting the pump down sometimes.