- advertisement -

Benefits of a Guardian over just a transmitter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mph, May 30, 2012.

1. mph

mph Approved members

We are in the process of upgrading Nick's MM522 pump, his 3.5 YO (but working great) transmitter, and adding a Mysentry (possibly).

What are the daily usage benefits of having a Guardian rather than just a transmitter?

Is it a lot more $ to go that way?

Would a Mysentry still be useful enough (to justify $1900 which is the combo package price)?

I've been out of the techno loop........sleep deprivation......;)

TIA

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

The first question is: Do you have insurance? If your ins is paying for your cgm, they will pay for any cgm you choose. Which means you can get either just the paradigm kit to go with the revel (transmitter, tester, charger, and 10 sensors) or you can get the gardian kit (same but with only 4 sensors and the gardian). So get the gardian. It is like setting two radios to the same station.

Unfortunatley the gardian does not get the kind of range you would get on the sentry. You can't have it on your nightstand, but you can have it on your kid's nightstand and you will hear it--or put it in a cup of pennies and the whole neighborhood will hear it. If you have the gardian, then the sentry doesn't seem worth it, esp. since your ins will cover the gardian and not the sentry. If you have the money, then go ahead and get it. :)

3. mph

mph Approved members

Thank you!:)

I love the pennies in a cup idea!!!!:D

Our insurance covers part of the cost of Nick's D supplies/services and his state aid program covers the rest (praise the Lord). But ONLY on items that insurance will cover at least part of (medical necessity). So the mySentry will not likely be covered by either. But Medtronic quoted me a "combo" package price for getting a Revel, cgm, AND a sentry. Plus $500 off if we return his old pump. So I suppose that now is the time to at least "consider" a mySentry.;)

Do I have to calibrate the Guardian AND the Revel independently and they read different readings? Still seems the way to go though.

4. denise3099

You do but it's pretty easy. Also, you can just cal the gardian to whatever the revel it at.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

the nice thing about the mysentry is that it doesn't have to be calibrated, and once you link, you don't have to re-link it when the child comes back in range (after school). And the range is great.

The cons are that it's expensive.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would absolutely order the Guardian. From what I've seen on this board, it doesn't cost you any extra, and it comes in very, very handy. We just calibrate it at the same time as the pump and the readings are the same. When he goes to school, we get a "Lost Sensor" alarm that we just clear. When he comes home, we just tell it to find the lost sensor and it starts giving readings again. It's different from MySentry in that it is portable. If you go to the mall, a birthday party, an amusement park, etc., you can keep it in your pocket, wander close to him occasionally, and still get readings. It is very, very, very nice to be able to see readings without asking to see his pump.

MySentry is just for use at home. It would also be nice, but only you can decide if it is worth the extra cost. Because the Guardian is, as far as I can tell, "included" in the price of a new starter set, it's sort of a no-brainer for me.

ETA: If your old transmitter still works and your child is okay with it, it's possible to avoid the two hour warm up period once you have a new transmitter. While the old one is still working, we put a new one on and connect the other transmitter. (We usually do this at night.) In the morning, we switch the transmitter number on the pump and Guardian, start new sensor, and it asks for a calibration right away on the new sensor. Then we take the old one off. It's really nice.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

If you are wanting the Guardian, I would order it first before the pump. I've been told Medtronic is no longer selling the Guardian with the pump since MySentry has come out.

8. denise3099

I don't see how they can not sell you the gardian kit instead of the paradigm kit. We are going to try the pod now, but since we have the gardian we can still cgm. and when dd's pump was fried by an MRI machine, I was glad that we could still cgm until we got a new pump. But you defintiely have to say you want the gardian kit, NOT the paradigm kit, and they will say it doesn't work with both, but they are wrong.

Also, the gardian is SO SO SO nice to have on long car rides, so you don't have to wonder if your kid fell asleep or is really in a coma. :eek:

9. mph

mph Approved members

THANK YOU all for your replies. I'm still laughing about the coma in the car thing........:D I hear that one loud and clear.

Thanks hawkeyegirl for the 2 hr warm up avoidance maneuver!;) Love it!

I assumed the Guardian would cost a lot more than just the transmitter. Had I known, I would have gotten that YEARS ago.:eek:

I called Medtronic to switch my order to a Guardian and boy are they giving me the "why in the world do you want that???" routine. I explained why and they said they will put in the paperwork but that my insurance may refuse coverage. So I emailed the endo so she can help out with the "medical necessity" angle. I said SLEEP is a medical necessity (his AND mine).:D

Any tool that helps anyone in my family get more sleep IS a medical necessity. My 3 sons sleep in the same room (that never seems to have a lightbulb in the room) and they tend to swap beds so I have woke up the wrong one on a few occasions trying to FIND the pump or site when I couldn't find the pump (Nick only uses his bum for sites).:eek:

I'm thinking the MySentry can travel with him to granny's for an overnight so SHE can hear any alarms. There's NO WAY she could hear his pump alarm from another room (even in the SAME room if he is laying on it).

Oh, the possibilities with BOTH a Guardian and a sentry.:cwds:

Medtronic even has a four (or five?) YEAR payment plan:eek: for the MySentry.

How outdated it will be by the time it is paid for.:rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I would hold off on the letter of medical necessity until you know for sure that you need it. Honestly, I don't think the people processing the claims know the difference between using the Minilink transmitter with the pump and using the full Guardian package (really, how many people do?). If your insurance covers the CGM, then they will likely not think to question the addition of the Guardian...

...unless you give them reason to think that it is unusual or an "extra." If they think that the Guardian is somehow special, it might give them pause and lead them to investigate further.

Just a suggestion! :cwds: