- advertisement -

Believe in your Salter Scale

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NomadIvy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I just bought my 3rd Salter. The first one gave up the ghost after about a year or so, and I had to whip out the portable one, which also gave up. In both cases the LCD was disappearing.

Unfortunately, being in Ghana I will have to wait till I get back to the states before I ask for a replacement. But I "think" its because I kept the scale in my kitchen which is tiny, and gets incredibly hot when I am cooking or baking -- factor in equatorial temperatures and you get the idea.

The 1450 now only gives me the weight, not the nutritional info as the LCD info disappeared from the top down. So I have to weigh then check Calorie King -- a total pain in the rear end.

Even so, I bought a replacement 1450 from Amazon and can't wait to get it. Worth its weight in gold, I think.

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Just ordered my Salter scale too

I jut ordered my Salter scale too. 2 years into this - I measure with cups and spoons, but have never owned a scale. I decided to splurge this week with the great $63 price.

In many of the reviews, people preferred the 1400 to the 1450, but I couldn't seem to find any of the 1400s on Amazon The 1450 should be here any day.

Can't wait to see how this helps. My biggest problems are fruit. What is a large apple vs a small apple or a large banana vs. a small banana? Hopefully this will help.

3. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Weighing fruit is one of the biggest reasons I use mine. My strawberry estimates were all over the place depending on what carb count source I used and the size of the berries/how they were cut. Also what I had been calling a 15g apple was often 21.

I love it for cereal and goldfish too. 1/2 cup wasn't 1/2 a cup depending on how I'd shake the measuring cup:rolleyes: Now I just pour till I get the grams of a serving size. Love the thing.

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

WOW! I just read all this and now I am thinking I bought the wrong Salter scale. I bought one that just weighs the food. BORING! I had no idea they made one that you could get carb counts on! I am definitely asking Santa for one of these cool carb counting Salter scales!! Thanks! :D

5. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

this thread is funny because, in my experience, banana bread is the only thing I can remember being a crazy high number on the Salter scale and one that I was second guessing - yes, Salter was right!

6. suz

suz Approved members

I've done that - last night in fact. Made a chicken pie for dinner, and didn't figure out the carb factor as I was making it, so on the off chance I put it on our salter scale, the closest setting was "chicken pot pie - frozen" for around 50g carbs! No way, I thought. So I bolused for 30-something. Yep, I was up all night correcting those highs.

Sometimes I just don't believe there could be THAT MANY carbs in something.