- advertisement -

Being safer

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by DsMom, Dec 20, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Have any of your kids's schools instituted new safety measures after last Friday's heartbreaking tragedy? Ours now keeps doors locked after school hours, where they used to be open, and all doors to the outside are locked at all times...kids on the playground who need to go inside during recess now need to get a special card from the aide.

I so understand our desire to make our kids safer...but these things just seem like window dressing. The Newtown school was locked...but just as happened there...windows at my kids' school can be broken. Nothing instituted will change that...unless they put bars or steel shutters on all windows and doors. I am reading online how people are gettting bulletproof backpacks for their kids. Really??? Those poor babies in Newtown were not wearing their backpacks in class.:(

As much as my heart breaks every time I turn on the TV and see coverage this week...I really don't feel that my kids are any less or more safe today than they were last week. The measures instituted at our school don't change anything. What I think WOULD change the frequency of these types of horrors is if the media would stop plastering the shooter's image on every TV, newspaper, and magazine. Sick as these people are...and even if they plan to kill themselves...they want the infamy and attention they've seen those evil people before them get. When these things happen...the gunman's name and face should be nowhere to be found. I don't want to know who he is or why he did it...because that is what he is hoping we will all try to find out. He wants us to know why people "deserved" to die in his opinion. Yes, the tragedy should still be covered...and those lost should have their lives celebrated and heroes should be commended. But if we stop "celebrating" and being obsessed with these gunman....if they never get the fame and validation they are looking for with these acts...perhaps they will slow down or stop. Yes, guns are an issue, mental health is an issue...but I think this attention we give to these people has to stop. That would be more effective than just locking more doors at our schools. Knowing his name, seeing his face, knowing why...it will not stop this from happening again....but it MAY be inspiring the next sick, lost person looking to get revenge on the world.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Our schools have always been locked during the day and the only way in is through the school office. There honestly is nothing that could have been done to prevent this psycho from doing what he did, or from another psycho doing it again in the future. :( That's reality. Until something is done to get automatic weapons out of the hands of regular civilians, we will always be in danger. Even an armed police officer stationed at a school wouldn't have a chance with a gun of that magnitude.

A bullet proof backpack? :eek: Will people seriously buy something like this?! We cannot live our lives in constant fear. If that is the case, no one would drive in a car for fear of being in an accident, etc. etc.

I am 100% in agreement that the media MUST stop plastering his name and face and "story" all over the place.

So, in answer to your original question ;), our school safety protocol is still the same.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

At our schools, everyone can get into door A, but you must be buzzed into door B. In both schools the office is across from the door, so if you moved fast you could get away with something. Now, I doubt they will change anything because the odds of it happening are slim, but they are on heightened awareness. We have a resource officer too.

But, this school had instituted new security protocol, they were following all the rules and it happened. This nut would have gotten in even if there was a Swat member there.

What has to change is:
    Stop saying his name in the news. Start saying every one of the victims names so they will not be forgotten. Do we know the names of the victims from Columbine, Aurora or Portland? No, but we know the names of the gunmen because of the media. I'm noticing that while this guys name is being plastered in the news, there is more of an effort to remember the names of these victims. It could just be me, I'm from CT and follow the CT news right now, but I am seeing more of an effort for the victims.
    Take a long, hard look at our gun control laws.
    Take a long, hard look at mental health funding.
    Take a long, hard look at why the mom had guns and a semi-automatic rifle in a home with someone with serious mental issues.

I did have a hard time sending my kids to school on Monday, but I knew he would not win. We have to live without fear. IMO, my kids were just as safe on Monday as when they went to school on Friday.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well said......

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I was completely dumbfounded by this. This mom was well aware of her child's issues...what terribly sad judgment on her part.

However, although I am also baffled why people feel the need to have such firearms in their home, I believe that people like this will "find a way" to get their names in the papers...even if such guns were unavailable to them. They'd just use explosives or other means...:(

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sadly, you are right. People who are this far gone will do whatever it takes to do the damage they want to do.

7. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

at my school, we had gone over what to do if there was a lockdown, evacutation etc. Each period. The school's lunch room is completly glass, with a seprate gym building (indoor track, full weight room) they are going to completly renovate that b/c they dont want stusents walking off campus and in the lunch room you can see right out onto the road and the main entrance.
    But, its just not guns. Who do we blame in drunk driving accidents? The driver. Not the alcohol company. Its not just guns. Its the person behind it.

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

When it was learned that cigarettes caused cancer, they didn't blame the person, they blamed the tobacco companies. Suits were filed against tobacco companies, cigarette advertising was taken off tv, it was not allowed to show people smoking on tv, there is no smoking allowed in public places in some states etc. It is regulated because it kills people, not banned, regulated. The constitution calls for a well REGULATED militia. The reason people want guns in their home is for protection. Well, it didn't protect his mother, the gun owner, did it? So tragic.