advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Home Schooled Or Not To Be ?

Discussion in 'UK' started by Juliana1245, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Juliana1245

Juliana1245 Approved members

Have any of you felt so stressed and fed up of school and how much lessons your missing because your constantly feeling unwell,sick and couldn't go into school?
    You feel you can't catch up after school because you have to take your medication at a certain time or you have more important things to do so you can't make it ?
    Catching up seems impossible! Your so far behind you don't even know really what your learning in class lately, you just feel so messed up everything's all over the place !

Im at that point right NOWWWWW!!!!.When Im feeling like this constantly !!!! Tired and fed up iv'e thought of being home schooled ? I liked the idea at first but then i realised with me being home schooled will i really have a good social life like i used to?

Needs someone's honest opinion
    Thanks

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I homeschooled for 3rd grade and then for the end of high school (I did one year of regular high school, two years homeschool high school, and then started college).

In my area there are a number of groups of homeschooled kids I could hang out with if I wanted; I also was in a chess club and other groups I hung out with. Also I have four brothers so it doesn't get real lonely at home (I'm the oldest so back then they hadn't moved anywhere).
    But that first year I homeschooled for high school I did get kind of lonely sometime. I don't really make friends all that well and except for at chess and book groups and Sunday School, I wasn't spending much time around other kids. My second year homeschooling I took calculus at a local college (three days per week, 1 hour class) and studied with some of the other people before/after class, and while that wasn't much, it made me a lot less lonely.
    Also I volunteered a lot while I was homeschooling- one of those volunteer jobs has turned into my paid job now. I enjoyed spending time around adults like that.

I think, if you have it in you to study on your own, and you have your own interests, and you have somewhere to go to study, then homeschooling is the way to go. You get to spend more time around adults (which I think is a good thing- that helps you have adult role models and more ideas about the kind of adult you want to become), you get to spend more time learning the stuff you're interested in, and you spend less time doing nothing while your teacher tries to control the class.

But if you're somebody that has trouble learning on her own, you get bored easily, and your mom's not gonna help, and you're not really intersted in learning all that much anyways, and you get lonely if there are no kids around... then maybe you want to go to school.

By the way- I did a fairly unstructured self-taught homeschooling when I did it in high school, and my mother and a younger brother did it with me in 3rd grade (which is why 3rd grade was awful)- and there are a lot of different ways available to homeschool.

3. Juliana1245

Juliana1245 Approved members

Thanks that helped lot :)