- advertisement -

Before I go into battle for our strips, are there any other meters with a night-light?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KellyMama, Nov 7, 2011.

1. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

Our insurance is requiring a PA letter which is my first red flag that things might be changing for our strip coverage. :rolleyes:

Before I flip out and demand that they cover our Freestyle Lite strips (like they've been doing happily or unhappily for 7 yeas now), I wondered if there are any new meters out there that would be a similar trade and more palatable to our insurance?

Things that matter the most to us:
    small blood sample,
    strips are easy to use (ie minimal errors or blood take-up issues),
    accuracy,
    and the wonderful night-light for night checking

Anything else come with these features?

2. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

I couldn't find anything else that takes so little blood

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That is the only one we know with a night light. We had to quit using it too. Went to tier 3.

4. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I haven't used it, but the contour USB meter has a small backlight. Does your insurance cover contour strips? You might want to give that meter a try.

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We use the Freestyle Lite meter at night, because of the night light. Meters with backlights don't work for me, it's not enough light to see the strip and the guide it to the drop of blood that I can't see on her finger.

We also use the Freestyle Promise Card for help with copays.

During the day, L uses the Accu-chek Compact Plus, so we don't need many Freestyle Lite strips per month.

6. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

This is what we're doing as well since our insurance moved FS Lite up to the top tier. Need the strip light at night, nothing else works as well as that does.

7. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Wavesense Jazz has a night light and requires a little bit of blood but probably more then the Freestyle

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The accu-chek nano is not for sale in the US, but if you can get one, it uses the accu chek aviva test strips and has a backlight.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

I find a cheap LED light is the best light for testing at night and I wouldn't expect that from a meter.

10. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

We have never used the freestyle, but we have used the contour usb and its a great one for at night. It has a much smaller sample size then one touch and it lights up at the strip port so you can see the the display is in full color and nice big numbers for when your super tired. Even tho we use one touch now for the most part since it links to her pump I still use the contour for middle of the night checks cause I love it that much for them.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I'd stay with the freestyle and get a LED flashlight.

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

13. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

Thanks - they will only cover contour or aviva strips without a preauthorization. Our endo is going into bat for us but I'm not sure if that will work. We do have a contour USB meter so I guess given the options, we might use that if they won't come to the party. :rolleyes:

*ugh* I honestly find it so maddening that they can dictate how we care for our dd in this regard!!

14. krisbornreed85

krisbornreed85 Approved members

The contour USB screen lights up and if you press the power button 3 times before inserting the strip there is a light at the place you insert strip so it lights up like freestyle does.

15. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter has the accu-check compact plus but when we went to the endo, they gave her a new case for it (something other than black) and attached to it was a little led light. I wonder why they did that, but now I know!! My daughter sleeps with a night light or I just turn on her closet light when we check.

So ask the endo if they have an accu-check case with the light attached. I did not see it for sale on their website.