- advertisement -

Because it was asked; about the DRI......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Diabetesdad, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Diabetesdad

Diabetesdad Approved members

Many people know me as Diabetesdad and I have been a CWD dad :cwds: for....well....a long time. Too long :( I have two children with T1 and have been at this a long time. And many also know I am Vice President of Diabetes Research Institute Foundation :D - fair disclosure). Many people have asked me about the DRI, who we are etc etc, especially in relation to the recent news article with the CEO of JDRF.

The DRI history, present, and future has been to cure diabetes. It will not change. The DRI is a research center where the science is actully taking place and is located on the University of Miami campus. You can go to www.diabetesresearch.org to learn more. And you can also contact me directly at tkarlya@drif.org.

Now that I have answered the question (albeit briefly) I think it important to state that each one of us must make our own decisions. But I think it crucial for those who have supported JDRF over the years to ask questions from the foundation you have held dear for so long. Don't just give up. Ask. Ask. Ask. Do not support anywhere unless you believe in the mission. Do your homework. Don't join another organization just to leave another.

All of us are in this together. So many great organizations do great things. Those who have heard me lecture have heard me use the line 'just don't do nothing'. So don't. One must invest to receive reward. Time is where you make it and not where you find it. Wherever you give your time; ask questions, get answers. My opinion about anything is not what is important; what is important is that YOU are happy where YOU give your energy, your time, and your support; for your children, for a loved one, or even for yourself. Do your homework, choose, go!

I believe all PWD need to take great care of themselves and are entitled to the tools to achieve that goal; and also believe with all my heart and all my soul; and as realistic as I have ever been; that we will one day see T1 cured. I truly wish you luck in your search for answers and I look forward to meeting all of you at the first and only Children WithOUT Diabetes Conference.

My best to all of you.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Thank you Tom.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Thank you for posting.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thank you!

5. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

thank you...

Highly apropos statement.... we are all in this together, it is just a matter of how we individually choose to play the role.

We choose to play as aggressively and productively as possibly with as little distraction to the ultimate goal as possible.

Oh, and btw, please reserve a table for 12 at that conference... we'll be there with bells on.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Thanks for posting that, Tom. Great information and overview. And I really love the point you made: Ask Ask Ask. Don't just leave one org for another.

All in it together, and it's a multi-pronged approach based on what the diverse Diabetes Community wants and needs. Thank you for being a part of it, though, like everyone here, it's a shame we're on this D-path to begin with.

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Amen! Thank you for being supportive in us each making our own decision - no matter what that decision is. I still strongly believe in a cure(s) also.

I really hope one day to be able to visit the DRI.

8. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

And this sums up why I find the current passionate discussion on JDRF encouraging. Passionate people are much more likely to not do nothing. So agree or disagree with JDRF, do it passionately, and then let that passion drive you to do something. If you agree with them, then support them with actions. If you disagree with them, the support somebody else with actions. Just make sure you do something more than post to forums.

9. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

Well said Tom! :)

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Good to see you Tom:) thanks for posting

11. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Tom, what kind of movements are you seeing with finding a cure for all autoimmune diseases through adult stem cell transplants (abd adipose or placental, etc)? Are countries collaborating in on this and which country/company is the leader?

12. lisab

lisab Approved members

Well said Tom......thank you for posting.