- advertisement -

Beach and pumping?!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

My son is 17 months old an i am or WAS so looking forward to the summer and all the fun that come with it, he is so much more matured that the beach and pool would be so much more exciting, but I'm a nervous reck bc this is also our first summer with T1.
    He is pumping with the Animas Ping and wears contact detach set. When u detach which I am supposing is what you do to swim ?? There is now a opening for crap to get in .. An 1. Sand at the beach?!? 2. Not to sound crude but pee and poo at pools (like great adventure water parks or such) there's a direct line for nasty germs to come through his site.. It's like a germ water slide when I think about it.. Through the hole down the tubing right into his little butt cheeks!!
    In sure I'm freakish out more then I need to but what does everyone do when Going to the beach, or water parks??

2. heypb

heypb Approved members

In each contact detach set, there should be an extra "plug" or "cap" that can be inserted for times when he is disconnected.

We save them up and use them specifically for beach days or pool days.

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

We use the OmniPod.so this is not an issue for us.

4. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

What about the length of time he is diagnosed. Our Endo said 2 hours tops but said dont go that long. I've never done longer then 15 min during a bath.. Do you use a pen for snacks or reconnect quickly during your day trip? Because you are certainly at the pool or beach longer then 2 hours ?

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There is no reason he can't wear his pump while at the beach. Either in a pump pouch or in a tee with a pocket, then you disconnect for actual swimming/submersion in water. You just disconnect and reconnect as needed throughout the day. Just keep the disconnected pump coolish - we usually toss it in a zip-lock and in a cooler - just not letting it get too, too cold

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Reconnect quickly once per hour and if he's being very active, consider only giving 1/2 of his normal basal that he would receive for the next hour. That's what we do if my daughter chooses not to wear the Aquapack.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The site is sealed - germs cannot get into the site even if you don't use the site cap. The only time we've ever used a site cap is to prevent sand from getting into the connection.

We cannot disconnect for longer than 1.5 hours. We try to check BG every hour and replace half of basal insulin with a bolus. We give carbs if necessary too. But even if his BG is low at the hour mark, he needs insulin.

8. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Our problem was always getting the sites to stay on with long spells in the water. We took my dd off the pump for a beach vacation and she never wanted to go back on it. Also even though our pump (Cozmo) was supposed to be waterproof I didn't trust it in the water. We had one fail after a day at the beach. A small crack you can't see can allow water in.