- advertisement -

Be prepared

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Most of us are prepared for an emergency at home, with a grab and go supply box in case we have to leave home in a hurry.

After seeing reports of people sitting in their cars for hours due to multi-car pile ups in nearly all areas of the country due to this wacky weather we have been having lately, it got me thinking. We usually have a few things for a low on us at all times, but I'm now going to throw some granola bars into the glove box just in case for trips around town. Fingers crossed we never have to use them.

LOL, if anyone watches the show "The Middle" you will all chuckle about the snack bag. "You forgot the blue bag!!!" We always have a snack bag for long trips, and I have forgotten it...

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

you know your right, this morning was sunny and -4. Last night it was dark and 3 degrees.

Extra carbs stuffed in extra pocket will be a must this winter.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I also always keep a blanket and water in the car as well. It was one of my grandmothers things - always have a blanket in the car.

4. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I have a zipper pouch that i take with me when I leave the farm that has DS meter, strips, insulin pen, extra Mio and resevor, smarties, a 15 carb snack or two or three in it, and drink mixes. this goes with me on errands during the day as i never know when I will be called to school for something

5. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We live in Utah and there was an area in our state two days ago where the freeway was shut down going both ways and people were stuck there for 7 hours over night in freezing temperatures.

I have supplies in my car but it made me shudder to think what would have happened with a diabetes emergency if we were stuck in something like that and I didn't have what we needed.

I feel like being prepared is a really big part of this disease (the part I'm in charge of ;) ) in the case of diabetes I don't think you can ever be too prepared.

6. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Sophie has her d bag,which is a small backpack. It has strips,meter,pen and needles,glucose tabs,a couple granola bars and her pump stuff. From the very beginning we got into the habit of never leaving the house without it

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We keep two rolls of Ritz crackers in the vehicle somewhere, along with a few syringes. We keep a gallon zip lock bag for when we open them.

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I *used* to keep oreos in the glove box of the minivan. The mice were apparently really grateful for the snack...

however, thanks for the reminder, I have nothing in the cars right now, and wouldn't want to be caught out and about. Time to make emergency kits for each car.

9. Beach bum

The hard plastic pencil kits you can find at the dollar store work well to keep mice away!

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

LOL. My daughter's first D-kit was chewed through here in the house by a hungry mouse who wanted a fruit strip!

11. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Being Prepared

We have a small "go bag" that we check before leaving the house, needing only to add insulin and meter. I have snacks in the car's glove box. (Need to think about mice! Thank you!)

We don't have a grab and go for larger emergencies, but live in an area where that would be very rare. We have tornado warnings rarely, but just go to the basement for that. Still, should I have a larger bag for "we've gotta leave now"? Fire? And if so, what in it? The other question is how do you have the insulin - now in the refrigerator - in it? Add it at last minute?

We had been considering the possibility/eventuality of a power outage, though. We've, in our 16 years in this house, had several lasting a week or more. In the winter, keeping the insulin inventory cold won't be a problem, but in the summer, I'd have to go buy ice if available.

I have an insulin inventory checklist on the fridge. Each time we open a pen, I check it off so can easily see how many are left. This is so that I don't wait until the last minute to refill, and find for some reason, I can't get to the pharmacy.

12. Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Approved members

Both my girls each have bags filled with the necessities that we take whenever we leave the house. In the event that we ever forget, I keep some form of sugar, pb crackers, and an extra meter in the car. I need to get a pencil box for them though. Great idea. I should probably throw in a couple of sites too.

13. Beach bum

If you are in cold temps, be careful with the sites. We had some freeze and the adhesive was non-existent. Now, I just carry some syringes in the glove box.