- advertisement -

Be Honest!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kateri's Mom, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We write everything down in a spiral notebook. That way DH can be as messy as he wants (LOL) and then I transfer the info I need from that onto a log that is broken down by hour so I can send it to our nurse and take to our Endo appts.

We do not write anything down while we are out or overnight, just review the meter and remember carbs/insulin given and write it down when we get home or get up in the morning. I just got 2 free One Touch Ultra Smarts (with the coupons from last weekend's paper!) where you can actually enter insulin doses and carbs into the meter, so I will start using those after our appt Monday (so that we start after their download) and then will hopefully remember to enter stuff when we are out that way instead of having to guesstimate on times.

I also download his meters into my computer so I can look at graphs etc. I also enter the insulin, carbs, A1C, etc into the program so I have a total picture.

2. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

I will admit, I am also one of the anal loggers! I have always logged and probably will continue to do so until she is out of the house. ;) There have been a few times where I have fallen off the wagon, but only for a day ~ 2 at most. I just feel lost when I don't log. I guess this is one area where I feel I have control over the disease. We log for everything ~ bg's, all food intake, site changes, sensor changes, activities, illnesses, sleep deprivation, school activities, travel, etc. The few times we skip are holidays. Even when we go out to dinner, I write just the restaurant name and the total carbs and not necessarily the food eaten. I can usually look back at the restaurant name and tell you what she ate. :p For us, we need to log since she is so sensitive to everything. This way I have a greater chance of keeping her numbers steady. It has paid off :cool:

3. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

yes, I am anal, I log everything, been doing so for the past 2 1/2 years since dx.

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I log really well, on weekends Tony goes up to his grandparents and it helps her see what trends are, etc.

5. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I am horrible at logging ... I know before we go to the endo they want the logs so I try and start a few weeks before we go. The insurance wanted 6 months worth of numbers for Kaylee and I had to make some up :eek: I am the most horrible logger .... and a tad bit unorganized :)

Crystal

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I logged everyday for a while, then we were just coasting along for a couple of months without needing too much adjusting. Now I think we're having growth spurts, so I've had to start logging again. I can't figure out what to change unless I can actually see the trends.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I work, and Jack is with different caregivers each day (my parents, my MIL, my husband). If we didn't log, I would have no idea what was going on. Downloading the pump only tells you so much. I need to see type of food consumed, activity, date of site changes, etc.

I always wonder about endos that make adjustments just based on seeing BG numbers alone. If I only looked at BG it would be a disaster.

8. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Our year anniversary is in a couple of weeks, and I stopped keeping a log around October of 2008. But, I do a 2-week log right before the Endo visits so I can show them something.

9. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I'm pretty good at keeping up with my log books. I probably don't go beyond every other day to update my online log book (Sugar Stats) and then I update my paper log book afterwards. I only log sugar and meds, not food, though.

10. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

I only log BS numbers but not carb counts. I use sugarstats online also and love it because I can tag numbers with reasons things happened and see graphs and averages and it helps me find patterns for making adjustments.

Then I keep an excel BS log to print for the doctor.

11. mom of four

mom of four Approved members

Extreme type A personality over here! I keep a binder open on the kitchen counter and log everything...

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

We have logged every BG reading and insulin dose since DDs diagnosis 2 1/2 years ago..