- advertisement -

Be careful with minimed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetpea, Oct 28, 2016.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Approved members

I posted last week about our "free" 6 week trial with the MM 630. After a week my daughter wanted to send it back because the sensor was so inaccurate.

We have been trying to return the pump for 2 weeks now. We keep getting the run around. Today we received notice from our insurance company that MM billed the day the pump shipped. Our insurance has already paid for the pump so now we are unable to move forward on the T-slim.

Now we know why MM is dragging their feet about taking it back. I was told they needed my insurance info to verify my coverage. I was told they would not bill insurance until after the trial. I have spoken to a few MM reps on the phone today. The first thing they each said was that I wasn't supposed to know that my insurance was already billed. Sounds like they are trying to run a scam to me.

We have already burned up three weeks. The rep called today to say that if we liked the pump we should keep it and not use the sensor. I am not sure what part of NO is not clear. I think they are trying to run out the 6 weeks so we will be stuck with it.

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

its not only minimed that does that. We had the exact same thing happen to us except it was with tandem and the t-slim pump which we are now stuck with for the next 4 years. We were under the impression that the meter would talk to the t-slim, and it does not. I hate loading it, and feel it wastes a lot of insulin during filling and priming. I think they are all the same.... after the almighty dollar and could really care less about the feelings of the children that have to suffer from the decision.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

I would talk to your insurance company and explain that Medtronic was never authorized to bill them since it was a trial and you don't want it. On another note if you do decide to keep it or get stuck with it, it puts you on the priority list to upgrade to the 670G when it is released. It will come with the new senser that hasn't been released but is supposed to be as good as the Dexcom. I was just talking a research Doctor over the weekend at camp and she has seen all the data on it and says it is as good as the current Dexcom. Of course Dexcom is working on the newer and better things that may make the new Medtronic senser not look so great...
    We've been using a 630G a couple months. It's ok. Some things I like and some I don't, just like every other pump. I do like being on the short list for the 670 if it works as well as they say, but I also won't be a Guinea pig stuck with it...

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

my nephew is supposed to get the 630 and then be able to upgrade to the 670. I'm praying the pump and CGM works for him, he's currently on an animas pump no cgm. He's due for a new pump, but his current insurance will only cover medtronic pumps and cgms. So basically if he doesn't like it his choice is to go back to his animas pump or return to shots.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

wehavea$6000paperweighttoo.Ashleighusedthetslimfor7monthsanddecidedthatwasenough.she'sbeenbackonshotsfor15monthswithnointerestinreturningtopumping....sorryaboutthenospaces,mykeyboard'sspacesbarsuddenlystoppedworking.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

A friend dealt with similar with Medtronic. Her recommendations are to contact the FDA immediately and let them know the trouble and that MM billed at the beginning of a trial and are refusing to honor the terms of the trial. Then let MM know you filed the complaint after the fact and will secure legal representation if not approved to end the trial. Return everything within 24 hours. You can also contact the ADA, state insurance board, and file a complaint with your insurance company.

Sorry for your bad experience. We switched from Medtronic to t-slim and aren't interested in going back.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I had a similar experience 10 years ago with them. Their high pressure deceptive sales tactics are the sole reason I will never consider them for anything. Seems things have not changed. Fortunately I was able to cancel the charge before the pump was sent. I had simply called to ask them how much I would have to pay for the cgm and pump - and they promptly billed it to my insurance within 30 minutes - without even calling me back to give me a price. I only was comparing prices and features.