- advertisement -

Bayer Contour or Accucheck nano?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Nov 3, 2014.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I just got a call from our pharmacist- apparently our insurance company will no longer cover the one touch strips that we've been using. The were not the preferred brand previously but we had a letter from the doctor that allowed us to get them at a higher copay since they were used with the meter for her pump. Now that is apparently not an option any longer. I suppose I could make some calls and try to get it authorized but in the meantime we are running low (of course). ugh!

We have the option to choose between the Bayer Contour Next and the Accucheck Nano. I'm kind of thinking about just going with one of these to save money on the copay, even though we'd have to carry around another meter in addition to the pump remote. And also so that we could get the strips by tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with either of these brands?

Thanks!

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter's preferred meter is the Nano (we use both it and the Aviva). It uses a very small blood sample, and the meter itself is small and she rarely gets an error. It seems accurate as far as average bg/a1c. We only have a couple of days experience with the Countour Next. We received a free one when she saline trialed the medtronic pump. It's also small and easy to use, but we found it consistently read lower than the Nano. Since we had good luck with the nano/a1c comparison, I'd be afraid of a jump in a1c using the countour next numbers. Of course that's just one person and a couple of days experience, so take it for what's it's worth. The one we tried charged via usb, so that was probably the biggest difference. I don't know if that's the one you are considering, but if so, if you have a strong preference for either type of power (batter vs Usb), that'd probably be your best choice.

3. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

If you go with the Nano, make sure you make use of the Accu-Chek Connect Prescription Discount program which lets you get the test strips for $15/month. It's saved us a lot of money.

4. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

We had so many errors = wasted strips when we used the contour. I have no experience with the nano.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

We switched to the Nano after giving up freestyle lite. It was easy enough to use, almost no errors, and it was very accurate. The only issue I had, and the one which made me give it up, was that I had a ridiculously hard time getting the strips into the meter. I don't know what it was about the way the strips load, but I was constantly fumbling about with them and at night it just ticked me off too much. And it doesn't have a light for night testing. My son still uses it for school, we've switched to the One Touch Verio IQ. (which I like, except the stupid thing doesn't have a beep....) I've never used the contour, so I can't compare.

6. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks guys! We went with the nano and its working out good so far. It uses a lot less blood than the one touch which is nice. I will definitely check into the prescription discount program, thanks!

7. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

Of all the lancing devices we've tried, the accucheck is favoured by us. The nano is a nice meter too - no experience with the Contour

8. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

So we just got a letter yesterday and are in the exact opposite situation as you. They will no longer cover our beloved Nano, and we must choose between three OneTouch models: the Ultra 2, the Ultra mini, or the Verio IQ. Does anyone have experience with either of these to recommend one that is better than the other? I'm a bit dismayed to see that two of these options require double the amount of blood than the Nano. Not to mention, I don't know if they have a program like Accu-Chek to reduce the cost.