- advertisement -

Battling Croup

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by JNBryant, Apr 4, 2013.

1. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

DS had strep last week, and just as he got over it we had to take him the the pedo today because of a nasty cough and difficulty breathing. Turns out he now has croup. I swear, this poor child can't seem to catch a break lately :(. BS has been within normal range today (80-160), mainly because he's not really eating much of anything, and getting him to drink is like pulling teeth. His pedo put him on three separate medications (Amoxicillin, Albuterol, and Promethazine) to help with the breathing, fever, runny nose and the coughing, but the medications aren't really making that much of a difference yet. I brought him outside wrapped in a warm comforter so the cold air could help clear him out, and it worked for about 10 minutes after I brought him back inside. His airways seem to be clear as he can breathe through his mouth just fine without any wheezing, but his head is really congested. I have a humidifier in his room to make things a little easier for him, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do for him? I've never dealt with croup before, and so far, it's turning out to be one of the nastier illnesses I've encountered.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Poor little guy. You could try turning on the hot water in the bathroom and let it really steam up and sit in there for 15 min or so. I hope he feels better soon.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Time to bring out the bulb syrindge that they came home with as a baby. Then, 1/2 saline and 1/2 Afrin. if you are cool with Motrin then that too. I find that when it is just up in the head and ears, not the nose then getting down the inflamation getts the ball rolling.

Then a nice hot bath in the smallest bathroom in the house.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Croup is one of those illnesses my son had frequently when younger, it's a scary one!

I used to make a steam tent with a big pot of boiling water, and then stand in front of it, holding him, drape a towel over both your shoulder if it's safe to do so and breathe in the steam. You can turn on your hot water in your bathroom and steam up the whole room and it will be similar, but not as intense. You can make a tent out of a sheet and do the same thing with the room humidifier too.

Alternate with going outside in the cool air, mornings and evenings are best.

Saline spray up the nose to clear the sinuses helps.

Staying relaxed is really important, when the child is anxious the breathing freezes up even more. This is a tough one though! My son continued to get croup longer than typical, I think he was 7 or something and I had to call the MD in the middle of the night and whisper to him "I'm doing ok but my son is frightened, can you just reassure him he's not dying??" Totally did the trick as he was getting himself so anxious his breathing was getting worse. So keeping calm is important.

Hope things are calm for all soon.

5. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I did wind up having to try the bathroom trick around 3am because he was coughing, and when he went to go breathe back in you could hear that awful gasping sound. When he woke up this morning, he looked like he was feeling much better, so I'm guessing that those meds the pediatrician put him on are finally starting to run their course. I can't wait until it goes away! Now I just have to keep my other son from catching it.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

IME a kid either is prone to croup....or is not. My son got it repeatedly every year, my daughter never did! Here's hoping that's true in your family. Well, not the repeatedly part,but the other kid NOT part anyway!

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Glad he is doing better! Thanks for letting us know.