- advertisement -

Baseline Retinal Exam

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TeresaB, Aug 8, 2007.

1. TeresaB

TeresaB Approved members

My daughter, Olivia, has had trouble seeing since her diagnosis or right before dx. She can't read smaller letters or fine print. Our endo said that this will take a few months to normalize, but I read on this board (which has been extremely helpful!), that many people have a baseline exam to assess future damage etc. So, I made the appt. for next week with a pediatric opthalmolgist. I'm wondering why my endo doesn't recommend this? Did anyone else have this experience when 1st diagnosed? It bothers me that with starting kindergarten, she still can read???
    I appreciate everyone's advice! This forum has been so helpful since Olivia was dx.
    Teresa;)

2. missnme

missnme Approved members

Our endo recommended that we wait a couple months after diagnosis for doing this baseline exam to give her eyes to adjust to normal glucose levels.

Her optometrist actually recommended reading glasses about 1 month pre-diagnosis and we were going to get a second opinion. We waited about 3 months post-diagnosis and took her to a pediatric opthalmologist and they did the baseline tests and determined that her vision is perfect.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We waited over a year for a baseline exam.. it wasn't mentioned before that.. just at her 1 year appointment they said it would be a good idea.. actually, now that I think of it.. I believe it was her pediatrician that mentioned it, not her endo..

4. TeresaB

TeresaB Approved members

OK Thanks

OK thanks. Maybe she will be fine after all, but I'm going to the Dr. to check next week. We'll see. I appreciate all of your comments and I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks!
    Teresa