- advertisement -

basal needs up then down?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lamb, Oct 4, 2010.

1. lamb

lamb Approved members

My DS was diagnosed in March of this year and has been on the Ping since June. I was pretty confident that he was coming out of honeymoon for the past few weeks. He was running higher numbers consistently throughout the day. We tweaked ratios and increased basals and then had a wonderful week with excellent numbers. I know it takes a couple of days to "verify" a pattern, but he has dropped low three times today. It was just a normal day. Oh, and I say normal VERY loosely. Our "new normal with diabetes" shall I say. No new exercise, same types of food, etc. Is it possible for the basal needs to bounce up and down like this for a bit?

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I'm no expert, and I'm sure others who've been at this longer will chime in, but it's hard to give accurate advice without knowing how old your ds is, what his insulin regimen is.

What I've learned in the short time we've been dealing with this is that as soon as you're comfortable and everything seems to be running smoothly, something will change and you'll be chasing crazy lows and stubborn highs with no idea of what caused the change. Since, after all, insulin needs can be affected by illness, hormones, stress, temperature, activities and the alignment of the planets on any given day:rolleyes:.

How old is your son? I assume he is MDI, but what is his "normal" insulin intake?

3. lamb

lamb Approved members

I know, I know. I read the whole pet peeves thread too. :) He's been pumping with the Ping since June. He has just turned six. I have definitely experienced the "get it all right" and then a little monkey wrench of growth spurt, illness, who knows what else gets thrown in there. I'm just more curious about the ending of honeymoon I guess. My husband is T1 and has been since the age of three, so he has no memory of the honeymoon phase. Honeymoon....ah, it sounds so nice yet I believe it has a very bitter-sweet existence.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I don't know if it is just us, but we can go fine for a few days then suddenly run lows a few nights then back to highs the next few nights.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Our experience with the end of the honeymoon has been that it doesn't just suddenly end. We saw much higher insulin needs for several weeks, then a tapering off, then higher needs & so on. I say the honeymoon ended in May, but the truth is, it's been an on-again, off-again existence instead of a true "end."

6. lamb

lamb Approved members

Thanks

Thank you so much! Not that this is exactly what I wanted to hear, but I had a feeling that might be the case. I always thought the end of the honeymoon would be no big deal....until it started. I've been having a rough time emotionally dealing with it. I think that it just hammers in the fact that my precious little one's pancreas is officially broken. :(

I try to find a little piece of "positive" in everything. This one's tough. Maybe his pancreas is just deciding that we (parents and Ping) are doing such a great job that it just isn't needed anymore. Hmmm, maybe the pancreas is heading up to heaven just a little bit early. That's it! My son is just so special that Jesus has enlisted his pancreas to get on up there early and help prepare his incredible mansion! :) Why the pancreas? :rolleyes: I'll just add that to my list of questions for when I get there. :p

7. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

My son is doing the same thing. About 3 weeks ago we had to up all his basals and change all his ratios. It took about a week of messing with them to finally get some nice numbers. His numbers were next to perfect for a week. Then last week his night time numbers started creaping up again. Now for the past few nights he's been a lot lower at night and the past 2 days he's running just shy of low (in the 80s) almost all day long. I did a temp basal last night and have run one all day today lowering his insulin amount. It's worked so it looks like I'll be changing his basal rates tommorow. It's very agrivating! I was actually not having to get up in the middle of the night for about 4 or 5 days, now I'm having to get up more because I'm scared he's going to go very low!

8. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

Alison has been out of her honeymoon for a couple of years now, plus she's 13; but her basals bounce up, down, and everywhere in between every few days. And this is with no real changes in foods or activity levels. It can definitely be a challenge. Hopefully this doesn't last too long for you.

9. chammond

chammond Approved members

Also, when you run higher for a while you may get insulin resistance. After having good numbers for a while after being high, that resistance goes down, so insulin needs go down.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Probably won't help you much, but after a big growth spurt (where we have to really tweak overall basals up), we see a "huh? he doesn't need that much insulin now" type of scenario. It's like after the high needs wave, there's a downward trend before stabilizing :)rolleyes:) a bit.

11. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My dd's basal and I:C needs are "consistently inconsistent." The dietician indicated that it's "not normal for a child to be so consistently inconsistent." I know a lot of people here are in the same boat, I think it is on the scale of normalcy for a D child. They are hoping that since we have her on an elimination diet for her newly discovered food allergies that improved digestion will mean that her highs and lows will have somewhat of a pattern so we can adjust basals accordingly . . .

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

We are 5 years into this and find it is just as Paula says. I think it is almost when you get nicely on top of things that it, the need for extraneous insulin, goes down and then you level off for a while. We have a 13yo who also goes through big growth spurts where she needs quite a bit more basal and when things even out and we have a nice stable period, her needs can drop, by as much as 50%. At least you are not alone.

By the way - I think it is more like exzema on the islet cells than the pancreas dying. That is how I like to think of it anyway. LOL.

13. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

My ds's insulin needs go up for a couple of days every week for the past few weeks. Now that my other kids are back at school, it seems like he gets a minor bug every week (low-grade temp, no other symptoms) and then when he recovers he goes back to his previous insulin levels. His honeymoon ended a long time ago.

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

You can pretty much expect that during and after the honeymoon, basal needs will go up and down forever. There are so many factors that impact basal needs (growth spurts, activity, emotions, illness, etc.). Not to mention if the residual beta cells start making insulin, which they will do in some people with T1 even long after the honeymoon (for brief periods of time). All you can do is test often and adapt to what you see. From time to time you'll be lucky and basal rates will remain constant for a little while!