- advertisement -

Bare feet and/or flip flops

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Catiesmom, May 25, 2011.

1. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I am always barefoot inside and I might step out to the patio that way too. I wear flip flops alot , I wear socks with most of my shoes, because I perfer it. 21 years now and most of the time my feet heal very quickly, no nerve damage or issues(knock on wood) . I was told all those years ago at diagnosis to always wear shoes and check my feet regularly , which I do. Shoes or flip flops when outside.

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Outside of school, Alex is almost always barefoot. That kid's got the hardest soles you ever want to see. I am sure she could walk over hot coals. :p That being said, she's aware if she steps on something that hurts, and is fairly careful to dry her feet well after a shower. But pretty much nothing penetrates that thick skin of hers. :eek:

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

They do the foot tickle / poke test for neuropathy, and my feet always have fine sensation. I've been told to check them for injuries daily - I'm kind of relaxed about that because my sensation is fine. If your child can feel injuries on their feet and doesn't have too high an a1C, I'd let them go barefoot.

4. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Thank you everyone!! She's barefoot right now:)

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I don't recall ever being told to wear socks all the time. I have always been against DD wearing flip flops or open toed shoes to school, so she is in tennies and socks while outside, at school or scootering. She goes barefoot all the time around the house and only wears flip flops when she goes swimming.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My kids have had diabetes 11 years and go barefoot and wear sandals all the time. Their endo said it is fine. They heal normally when cut.
    I think it is important to have A1C's in good range(according to your endo) and it should be fine.