- advertisement -

Banking baby teeth for stem cells

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmc51264, Jul 23, 2009.

1. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I just watched a piece on Good Morning America where they showed banking your child's baby teeth because there is a small amount of stem cells in the pulp. They had 2 D kids whose parents were saving teeth hoping for a cure someday.
    Anyone know anything about this?
    Zach just started losing his teeth and I have to move fast if this is a possiblitity. Also, his brother will be losing his molars soon and maybe it wouldn't hurt to look into it as he is a sibling of T1.

Thoughts?

2. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I saw the same sort of article on the Today Show this morning ... I want to look into it ... maybe nothing will come of it but how horrible it it would help with a cure and I did not save her tooth? It seems like more of a panic decision but we could not afford to save the cord blood (and was thinking we would never need it anyway) and this seems a lot more reasonable.

Crystal

3. Mfry

Mfry Approved members

Interesting....has anyone got a link to the piece they did?

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Will wisdom teeth work? Alex is getting his out soon!

5. bgallini

I found the answer to my question:

"Is there a difference between baby teeth and wisdom teeth?
    Although it has been known for several years that wisdom teeth will yield valuable cell populations, research has found that those cell populations have less therapeutic potential than the cell populations found in primary, or "baby" teeth. For example, baby teeth cells more readily form neural tissue, and have the demonstrated ability to form bone and fatty tissue as well, which has not been achieved with wisdom teeth cells. There is much research left to be conducted, but the existing research has clearly shown that primary teeth are a better source for therapeutic cells than wisdom teeth."

It's from this site: http://www.bioeden.com/home.php

6. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I have all the baby teeth, but I have no idea which kid each tooth belongs to. Hanna is on the verge of losing the last of her molars, I'll have to label those.

7. Gdad

Gdad Approved members

I wonder how you are supposed to store them? In the freezer or something?

8. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

You have to store the teeth in the same way you would cord blood.
    The teeth parents save in their jewelry box are no good .. you buy a kit .. put them in milk and shiop off .. they have to be at the lab within 24 hours.

Crystal

9. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would be very careful in choosing the company to bank them. There are many stories about people being fleeced for a lot of money by unscrupulous people. In my humble opinion, when a cure comes it will not be just for people who have saved their children's baby teeth.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  11. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I looked at two good websites about this but my one point of confusion is that it talks about banking the stem cells generated from the teeth of healthy people for future health issues -

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but, as it pertains to type 1 diabetes, our kids already have that - is that a good thing to bank this even though they already have it? Wouldn't have been better to bank before they got type 1? Will it be of benefit even though they already have this disease? It doesn't talk about that situation...

12. bgallini

I agree. I would definitely check out the company and the theory that this will work very, very closely before spending the amount of money they seem to be asking for.

13. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

So are these embryonic-type stem cells? We all have stem cells that can be easily collected from our blood (this is the way a person can donate for another to have a stem cell transplant). I guess the cells in the baby teeth must be different?

14. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Good point. At this time we have NO information on if or how stem cells from teeth might be used to treat/cure any diseases. It is something of a wild shot. The stem cells might be totally useless. Or they might be used to cure their diabetes. A quick search online seemed to come up with costs of about $500-600 for the first year and $80-150 for each year thereafter.
    My grandson's baby teeth are coming out NOW - so we have to decide NOW if it is worth it to gamble that there might be some value in saving them. The only teeth that can be used are those that have just fallen out and are stored within 48 hours. (You put them in milk in the fridge until you send them to the company that stores them.) So you cant just hang onto their baby teeth and wait to see if they become useful in the future.

15. mindychua

mindychua New Member

www.ndpl.com
    National dental pulp laboratories. Has anyone used them? They advertised in JDRF magazine this month. They have a lot of FAQs about prices and how to do it. It's pricey, but, wow - if it could help....

16. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I'm going to look into this. Dd has a few baby teeth left.

We saved the cord blood. But I think we are coming to the end of its time. :confused:(I thought that I read 10 years-- something to do with the way it used to be collected and/or an older storage method). Actually unsure about this, but the 10 year mark sticks in my head.

Anyway thanks for the reminder -- I'll look into this.

17. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We had $600 extra cash laying around:rolleyes: at the time Liv was losing the teeth that are best to save---so we did save with Bioeden.

It's a gamble that we decided to take---who knows? I am not sitting her counting the days until we can use the baby teeth stem cells--but I've spent more money for more foolish reasons in my lifetime.:eek:

We banked cordblood for the last two babies, too. Both with Stemcyte--Family Cord Blood Services.