- advertisement -

Band trip. Night checks

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bigbluefrog, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I would not feel compelled to explain the treatment of my child to someone else. You know what is best for your daughter in a given situation at this point in her life. You have been given the responsibility of her care and know what is best:)

We had the same situation at a youth group trip we chaperoned on. We did a night time check twice!

What happened was, at that time I had no clue (duh me) that hot tubs accelerate insulin. I feel so stupid now. Anyway there was a huge outdoor heated pool (this was at Stone Mountain GA, maybe some of you have been there) and the kids were all in there for HOURS. Later that night, he had a couple lows and it was a little scary. But we checked him, gave him snacks, he was safe and none of the boys treated him any different. Its just something we had to do!

This is a case where D can be a little embarrassing. But I think you will find her friends will be cool with the night time check if she does any future overnights with a group, or in a similar situation. You are doing the right thing, you know your own kid! It might be good they know anyway.

My teen son's pediatrician has a grown daughter who is type 1. She is a in the medical field now, and lives in NY where she is married to a TV Producer. He said she is going great and the most "together" of all his kids! Anyway, he said when she was a teenager, her friends were a HUGE help. They all knew about her t1 and knew what to look for, reminded her to check her bg, etc. It was great because it made it easier for her to be out and about with her buddies as a teen. So I have let my sons friends know. One of them already brought him skittles once when they were doing archery and he was a tad low. T1dm is a disability where you need a bit of extra support sometimes. With a good support system, a person with type 1 can lead a great life!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. mocha

mocha Approved members

My mom said the same thing...and then I became a teenager and annoyed the snot out of her. :p And then I became an adult with a husband and she wants me back (but only because she misses having a girl in the house, or that's my secret theory. Kidding Mom! Just Kidding! I know you love me!), but I will completely admit to being a typical annoying teenager.

As far as overnight trips, ydmv. I am a super light sleeper, so my parents never did the night time bg checks. If I was asleep, my bg was in range. I always wake up for my lows and highs. They weren't so worried about me with over night checks because they knew I'd wake up.

All I can say is, try and remember what it was like to be a teenager. You're trying to figure out who you are outside your parents and family and friends and who you are as a person. Part of this is making your own decisions. Set it up as "How can we do this so everyone is happy?" Forcing them into it will lead to burn out, and, well, just remember yourself as a teenager and your parents trying to make you do something, especially with all those hormones. :rolleyes:

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

You can also do this in a low tech way with a few BG tests and some graph paper..

The key is to avoid carbs/boluses after 8-9 pm (assuming the kids stay up until midnight).

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

If this was my DD and my wife or I were along on the trip we would just slip in at 3 am and test. No one else is disturbed, and in fact DD would sleep through it too.. :cwds:

5. Trev

Trev Approved members

Living with it myself for 28 yrs., and being a teen with diabetes, and now having a teen with D, I say let her have fun. She has hypo awareness I presume, I also am sure her friends are aware that she has diabetes, and I agree to let her slack a bit in the D dept or as one of the other posters stated let her run high a bit.

I let my kid stay over at friends all the time, My parents gave me freedom growing up with D and I feel this made me a more well adjusted diabetic, the more restrictions you impose, the more resentful, angry and rebellious most diabetics become. Hope she has a great time, and it is great to see such a motivated and loving parent!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The OP was over 3 months ago. I wonder if the trip ever happened and how it all panned out?

7. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Hi again, unfortunately the trip was cancelled due to people dropping out and job losses.

Our Spring break is coming up...and the Disney trip will be rescheduled on a smaller family excursion.
    We made a small trip planned for this following week and night checks will be given, since it's mainly swimming we plan on using lantus and going untethered from the pump.

so no dilemma ...night checks and lots of fun....mom can be at peace knowing my daughter by will be checked and monitored.

I thought she would of been disappointed about the cancelled trip, thankfully she was not too upset over it, and stated she preferred our family camping and more nature and day hiking trips.

Someday, Disney...we will get there