- advertisement -

Band trip. Night checks

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bigbluefrog, Dec 9, 2010.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Do you think she could wake up to maybe a vibrate alarm on her phone underneath her pillow? Just trying to think of a way she could do it so that it doesn't bother her.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Honestly, I'd just compromise with her and check myself. Not the best option, but if you can go inside the room quietly, then check, you're reassured, she's reassured and noone (hopefully) will wake up. Ask her what she wants. Plus a BG check doesn't usually take that much time, so it's not like all the other girls will be sleepless for the rest of the night.

Emma makes very good points. But this is also about your child's tendency to drop very low, so, in this case, I'd go in myself.

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Glad this thread is going on. Kayla is going to Disney with her orchestra in March as well. (sounds like a lot of our kids here are) We are unable to go (school says, not us) and so far, we haven't heard anything about where Kayla will sleep. Kayla wants to sleep in the room with the nurse but I think that is because none of her friends are going and she doesn't want to pick roommates.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

When my son(14 next month) goes on school or church overnight trips my husband always goes and does a night check. He said the other kids never wake up but he has went in and my son was asleep(1am) and the other kids are up talking, so he has never had a problem waking anyone up. He has done this about 6 trips.

My son has done it on his own one time overnight trip but it made him very tired having to get up himself to check. I think he is glad his dad helps.

I also will run the basals a little lower for things like this.

5. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Thanks for sharing that, I was thinking I was the only parent who would do such a thing...

6. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

To avoid bothering the other kids I'd sleep with my ipod on so I would hear the alarm, but no one else would.....

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex was in band. And went to Disney a few times. To be honest, we never did night checks b/c we didn't know it was something to do....Drs never said to. But I did go with him on one band trip and if it was something we did, I don't think him or his roommates would have minded me coming in to do a night check if that's what needed to be done. (and yes, the kids had rooms and the chaperones had dif rooms on these trips...but the chaperones took shifts so that at least 2 adults were awake at all times and really watched to make sure all were behaving.)

8. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Please do let me know when you come up with something that works. I've been experimenting with alarm clocks and calling her cellphone to see if she could wake up and check her own BG at 2 am and respond to it -- so far nothing works.

9. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

When Chris is on his own he stays up until things are stable. This can be as late as 2am. But if he doesn't eat or bolus, he can see where things are headed with the Dexcom. By 6am he can usually be awakened, even if he has had very little sleep.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

11. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Danielle had a middle school trip to San Diego last spring. I went as a chaperone, but had my own room. She roomed with 3 other girls. I just told the girls that I would be coming into the room around 2am to check her bloodsugar. I took one key to their room at bedtime, then set my alarm, went nextdoor, checked & went back to bed. The other girls didn't even stir. The girls didn't seem to give it another thought when I told them I would be coming in. They knew why. It was good because it gave my daughter her independence without sacrificing my sanity:)

12. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

This would be my choice. We aren't in the teenage years but getting close and I am terrified! And then being an adult? Don't even go there. Can't they live with Mama forever?? I'm sure I can make room for their husbands and children someday ;)
    Seriously Emm is right - I know many adult Type 1 diabetics that never check themselves at night and they always wake up in the morning. Go figure? I don't know how because my boy is low in the night quite often. I hope someday their personal survival instincts kick in and Mom can start letting go. I just don't see how:(

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thanks, this is something I keep in mind for the future! Dd is not able to do this for her self yet heading into bed.

14. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

15. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Have her tell her friends or people she is rooming with, from my own exsperiance yeah not everyone is amazed by it but almost everyone is interested by it, and someone is always interested in taking charge even if its for one person for only an hour, and they are teenagers! And someone wouldnt mind getting up at 2 in the morning to wakesomeone else up, they get to then do what they are used to doing stay up at all hours, even tho it has a twist and they are just waking up.... but hey they get to be diffrent and thats what most teengers strive for
    By- DD :rolleyes:

16. Bigbluefrog

Safety comes first, but to do it in a way we all win.

Giving her options that we both can accept, and balance between extremes.

I really like the idea of an alarm that wakes her up by shaking her pillow.

After all this hub bub, her trip was cancelled due to the economy and people dropping out.

Feel bad, but she is not too upset by it, said she prefers nature over Disney. We like to do adventurous hiking and camping trips to national parks.

Anyway, plans change, we will find another way....I hear spring brk is crazy for Disney.

17. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Another thought just caught me. Our school system provides 24/7 care and that means they must provide an adult access to provide the care. Write it in if you do not have it in your 504 also check your school board rules they cannot be excluded - someone must do the checks if they are the norm for your care.

18. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My DD is going to Orlando/Universal with her Chorus in late March as well. Fortunately, one of her best friends will be one of her roommates. I will have her assigned chaperone assist with a 2AM check. The chaperone will need to wake her and then DD will check BG. Unusual activity can produce sudden lows. I will not risk her safety.

Most importantly, DD will not risk her safety and WANTS someone to check her. She lost a dear friend to T1 at the age of 16. :( My son called me yesterday to tell me of a co-worker (T1 with insulin pump - mid 20's) that is in ICU fighting for his life due to a diabetic coma. His wife left for work while he was sleeping and she came home to find him in bed in a coma.

Past History:

At sleepovers, DD calls me before turn-in and lets me know last food, last bolus and IOB. We decide from there if a 2AM check is needed. Usually not - but she has never had a host mind doing it.

At church camp with LOTS of activity, DD has a carb and protein snack at bedtime. She always has asked her counselor to wake her at 2AM. Once, she had the counselor walk her to the nurse at 2AM because of a severe low. The counselors (college-age) have never minded. She was the first camper to have T1. The director now has several T1's that return every year. She has even had nervous parents call me for support when trying to decide about camp attendence. My daughter is looking forward to attending the camp through her teen years and has ambitions of being a counselor there during college.

Our Disney trip during FFL 2009 had been uneventful during the day. Heat and activity was counter-balanced by juice, skittles and reduced basal. Numbers were steady and as we watched the Spectromagic (Electric) Parade that evening, we thought we were home free. By the end of the parade, DD was in tears and severely low. Later, she explained that the techno-music had been irritating her.

YDMV, but for us - Safety first!

19. Bigbluefrog

I agree...safety first.

20. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

My thought is the girls will be up until almost 2 am goofing off so maybe encourage her to check just before the go to sleep and you will have your middle of the night check. This is what happened last summer with my daughter. Instead of waking up to check they just stayed up until 2 and then went to bed.