- advertisement -

Band solos

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mom24grlz, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

This is Ashleigh's 2nd year in band. Last year they didn't do any solos/duos/trios, but this year they are allowed to perform them at their concerts. They have their winter concert in December. The solos/duos/trios are not a part of the songs they are doing. They do have to try out, but they pick the song they want to do (with approval from the band director). I think Ashleigh would like to do a duo or trio (nervous about going solo), but we're having a hard time thinking of an instrument that would sound good with her's. She plays the baritone. I suggested she have another baritone player with her, there are 4 baritone players in the 6th grade. But she said the one boy is already playing with someone, the other boy doesn't play at all (yes, I"m not sure why they won't let me quit) And the third boy broke his baritone, so we're not sure he'll have one to play in the concert (hopefully he will). Instruments in the 6th grade band are: Flute, clarinet, trumpet, baritone, tuba, saxophone, percussion, and trombone.

On the chance that she does a solo, can anyone think of a good Christmas song that would sound good played by a baritone. If it makes a difference she plays bass clef.

2. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

I did band all through middle and highschool. French horn was my thing. But, I was going to say, flutes usually go well with anythng if she has a friend who plays flute :)

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

yes actually one of her best friend's does play the flute.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would go with another brass instrument. A trombone is about the same range as a bartone. A trumpet plays higher and would sound good as well.
    A tuba is lower and sounds good with a baritone.

The issue may be finding music to play.