- advertisement -

Bag of Hope question...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by redheadmom, Feb 17, 2011.

1. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

I saw this on a website, but I can't really tell what it contains (other than a stuffed bear) and whether it would be appropriate for a newly diagnosed 9 yr old boy. Is 9 too old? Is it more appropriate for a girl? Can those of you who've received one comment on this? Thanks very much!

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

My son was dx'd at 9, and the bag of hope was great for us. Some reference materials, a meter, and Rufus the bear. Rufus was very much appreciated and loved.

3. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Thank you. I'll request one for my nephew!

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

The best part was the Pink Panther book (short version). We gave it to my parents so they would have an idea about dealing with D without getting bogged down.

5. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

my daughter was diagnosed at age 6 and received her bag of hope and bear that day (the bears name is Ruby, but my daughter named hers Princess Pinellope). They showed my daughter where she would be getting her shots on the bear and my daughter even got to give her bear a shot. She would compare her id bracelt to the bears bracelet and talk to her bear about her concerns with having diabetes, she took the bear to the doctors and clung to it at the hospital...it still gets me chocked up remembering the bond she had with that bear. Her bear is still on the shelf 6 years later. She loves it!

6. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

My daughter was 8 when she was dxd she is now 11 and still uses the back pack they gave us..she loves the cold pack it has and the ear plug hole..its the little things..lol