- advertisement -

bad dexcom insertion

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, Apr 30, 2015.

1. kail

kail Approved members

We have had our dexcom for about 10 weeks now. We always insert on the arms and have been switching back and forth. We usually go at least 2 weeks on each sensor until it starts to fall off as she doesn't like tape or anything to reinforce it but have never had one stop working. Until now she plays on ipad while I insert and she says "ow" and slightly winces and continues to play. She doesn't like it but its not a big deal. I tried using emla once but didn't seem to make a difference and since its not been that bad I gave it up. Last night I went to replace it and she shrieked in pain and started to sob. Then I noticed that there was bleeding in the window below the sensor. I wasn't sure what to do but since it was already in place I decided to put in the transmitter and give it a shot. In the first few hours it seemed pretty bad but our first calibrations were shortly after dinner with her numbers climbing which likely didnt help. Then it had her plummeting low when she was actually 130 and later in the night it was reading 300 and climbing when she was actually 200 (still not great). This am though it alarmed and said 70 and when I checked her she was 70 so maybe it is now on track. So my questions are about why it was so painful this time and caused bleeding and if I should still expect it to work or is likely to be a lost cause. I am hopeful the bleeding isn't a problem as I doubt I can talk her into replacing it so soon after this painful insertion.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't have much patience for sensors that are wonky, so I'd probably give it 24 hours to right itself and then I'd pull it.

We've had bleeders before, and they haven't affected readings. You probably just hit a nerve and/or a capillary. It happens. We use EMLA. If you leave it on an hour under a band-aid before insertion, it should help. Do it at night while she is sleeping if you need to.

3. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

We had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. We always use EMLA cream, but she still cried. (She usually doesn't feel a thing.) I think it must have hit a blood vessel. Lots of blood and tears. The numbers were completely off the first night (said 330 when she was 180) but it settled by morning and started working well. I actually just took that sensor off today, which was day 17. So if you think it is accurate today then it should probably be fine.