- advertisement -

Bad breath

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nebby3, Jun 4, 2016.

1. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My 14yo cwd has started getting really bad breath sometimes. It's not sweet; it smells more like BO but after sniffing a lot I do think it's her breath and not her body. The last couple of days she has spiked high at night but then come down easily and had good numbers the rest of the day. She is a 14yo girl and it is almost that time of the month so I think the spikes are hormone related and we just need to wait them out a few days. So my questions are these:
    1.Anybody else's cwd struggle with foul breath?
    2. If so, do you find it is related to anything like high bg?
    3. Any recommendations for a strong and effective mouthwash or a powerful (sugarfree) gum she can chew? Brushing her teeth doesn't seem to do much.
    TIA

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Is it possible your daughter has "tonsil stones"? You can probably visualize them with the light on your smartphone and something like a tongue depressor (or an actual tongue depressor if you have one lying around.) I could go into great detail describing these nasty smelling little yellow nuggets, but a YouTube video is worth a thousand words. Just search "tonsil stones". I've had tonsil stones since I was a young child and have just gotten in the habit of digging them out with a Q-tip or a small jackhammer a few times a month. I read a description of the smell somewhere that described the aroma perfectly: "a cross between cat piss and death".

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'll look it up. Thanks! I guess I just assume everything is D related ;)

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I hear you, nebby3! My daughter gets a skinned knee and my first thought is "Did that happen because she's low?"

Let us know what you find out, OK?