- advertisement -

Back-up plan for when pump comes out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by heamwdevine, Jan 8, 2010.

1. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

I was wondering what you all have in stock for when the pump falls out or for when you/your child wants a little break.

We have the Novolog pen, which is great, but I find it hard, because of the ups and downs and was thinking it would be nice to have some basal insulin on hand beside the NPH, especially one in a pen form.

Are basal insulins available in pen form/or a mixed form? This would be great because Anna likes to do these herself.

Thanks

2. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

You should have some form of injectable long-acting insulin available to you for emergencies. We used to use Lantus, and our endo switched us to Levimir a year ago or so, but we haven't had to use it. We just use syringes when needed, but I do believe I've seen information about both of these in a pen. Talk to your endo and/or CDE about it, they should be able to write you a script and give you dosing instructions.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If my son wanted to go off the pump, he would get a Lantus shot in the same rate as his basal and get the Apidra (short acting) each time he ate.

I know Lantus comes in a pen.

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We don't keep pen's on hand. We use the novolog from the vial and keep syringes on hand. She is never taken a break from the pump in the 16 months she's been using it, but when she is growing we frequently have to give her injections in addition to her pump boluses. We also have a lantus pen. I know novolog and humalog come in pen form, I don't know about the others. I prefer just to use the vials I use to fill her pump so I don't have to get anything extra.

5. diabetesgoddess

diabetesgoddess Approved members

If the pump dies we inject his rapid acting every 4 hours until we get the pump back. If he wanted a break...which I don't see happening because he hates shots and loves his pump, I would have the Lantus prescription refilled.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've got lantus in the fridge, and a lantus pen from when I used to be on it. I anticipate taking a break at some point, but mostly it's just for emergency failures.

7. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

MDI is Justin's plan B, he's only had to resort to it once when he had a pump failure about a year ago. The only problem was that we didn't have any lantus so we had to make a run to the pharmacy to get some, in the meantime MM had a new pump at our door the next day. The hitch there was that once he got the new pump he had to set it's basal rate to the lowest possible setting and wait for the lantus he had injected the previous night to work it's way through before setting the pumps basal rate back to normal.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I do not buy Lantus but we do have a backup pump. We haven't taken a break from the pump(except for failures) in 9 years.

9. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

We keep a bottle of levimir on hand along with instructions which we update every few months. For us it wouldn't be a pump break but more in case of emergency or pump failure.

10. lynn

lynn Approved members

When Nathan's pump gives up the ghost we use Levemir as his basal and give shots of Novolog for meals. His pump tells me how much basal insulin he needs. We divide it in half and give a shot in the morning and a shot at night until we get the replacement pump.

Levemir comes in pens, but our insurance won't pay for the pens if he is on the pump.

11. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Yes, Levemir does come in a disposable pen form. Logan'smom - perfect idea for us all. We do need to keep current basal information on our long acting insulin. That way if there is a pump problem we will know at all times how much to give. Thanks for the tip:cool:.

12. Toni

Toni Banned

We had her old pump which we traded in for Animas Ping and haven't used that yet. If her pump fails, we go to the backup pump. We also have Lantus in the fridge but am not sure if we should slightly reduce or increase basals if going back to Lantus.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We don't keep Lantus anymore. If his pump failed, I'd give Novalog until I could get to a 24 hour pharmacy and pick some up. Medtronic will get a new pump to you by 10 am the next day, so I don't worry about it. Also, I have our pump trainer's cell phone number. She'd give us a loaner until the new pump arrived.

14. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

We have a back-up PDM. We also carry an insulin pen when we're more than an hour from home.

Kirsten

15. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I've kept Lantus in the fridge and have never needed it. In reality, if we have a failure, we replace the pod and go on our merry way. We've used syrings but almost never for pump failures. The syringes get used more often for regular old stuck highs with no attendant pump problem.

We also have a backup PDM, but again, no real reason to use it. If the PDM dies or has trouble, we've got a new PDM quite fast - faster than the life of single pod. You can't use another PDM without starting a new pod, so it's easier to just leave the old pod on still delivering basal, even if your PDM is totally dead.

16. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I just filled scripts for lantus and novalog pens as backup.

17. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

this is probably terrible, but i have no backup plan.
    i've been pumping for 12 years and i have one and only one pump. i can't even remember what my old dosage is with MDI but i'm pretty sure I could figure something out in an emergency. i have some syringes somewhere in the house i'm pretty sure.
    as for insulin, i did check our extra fridge in the garage and found some regular. only problem ... it expired in 2002.
    so my primary plan is to remain confident my pump will keep working. so far so good.

18. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

We actually have just switched back to MDI for adhesive reaction and I did not have any Lantus, we have a friend that has an abundance that they will never use ( her type 2 mother has stock piled it ) I trust them and know it has been refrigerated so when Daniel decided he wanted to go back to MDI I called them and got 3 vials for now. I also had 1 Novolog Flex pen left and tried to get more but insurance will not cover both pens and vials so I have decided for my next order which I can get 2/13 I will have the dr send new script for 3 month supply for Flex pens and use them to draw for the pods instead of vials when he goes back to pumping that way we are always ready to give shots at anytime. Daniel prefers pens - they are easier and more convenient than vials when on the run and at school. I tried to explain to the insurance company that I was not stockpiling just needed them for emergency and a back up plan but they did not get it, I am sure this change will cost them more but apparantly they cannot see that either.

19. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Great responses! Thanks! I think I will talk about a script for Lantus in the pen form at our next visit. That way if she does want a break for the day we can do it. She does not mind the pen needles, but doesn't really like putting the pump back in.

Anna also has an adhesive reaction and asks me to change her pump every two days instead of every 3 because it itches too bad and it still always falls off if she takes a bath for too long :rolleyes:

20. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We have lantus in the fridge and take it with us on trips and it is there as a "just in case". We have never had to use it. Although if our pump did take a noise dive MM would have a new pump to us by 10am the next morning and in the mean time our MM reps would be more then helpful to lend us a loaner. I am sure we could also from our Endo if needed.