- advertisement -

Back to School

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by moco89, Jan 15, 2013.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Who is excited to be back in school?

What steps are you taking to make this semester great?

What are you doing to manage your diabetes efficiently and effectively in school?

I had to take a year off being diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease, which is a non-degenerative form of autoimmune autonomic neuropathy. I have been receiving treatment for my disease for the past year, and it is now becoming manageable. Prior to being diagnosed with the disease in January 2012, my doctors believed I had diabetic autonomic neuropathy from being diabetic for 15-18 years.

I also in the past have been forced to take medical withdrawal for three semesters during my academic career. In the past, every semester was stressful, and I was always concerned about completing the semester. I felt like I was on the shadow of the valley of death-every semester.

My disease is now treated systematically (immunomodulating treatments/infusions every three weeks). There is always another treatment that can be tried if the current treatment becomes ineffective.

Anyways, it is nice not to have to worry about having a degenerative disease. I improve every day. I still have significant health issues, but now I do not have to worry as much about my academic situation.