advertisement

Back to MDI due to OmniPod disaster

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buggle, Nov 9, 2010.

1. buggle

buggle Approved members

I have completely had it with OmniPod. Just one failure after another and my child is getting traumatized. It was great for the first year. Now, it seems like something is terribly wrong with the quality. We have thrown away so much money on insulin and under bandages. Brendan can't take anymore.

Got to run out the door, but just wanted to get this down before my head explodes. Brendan missed a special presentation at school and we just gave him a lantus shot, so I'm camping out at school since we have no clue what he needs for MDI. I have a stack of work at my job. I'm so tired of this. Now we can't get another pump because we're stuck with this useless piece of garbage. :(

2. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

WOW :eek: Rella!!!! I don't think I have ever heard you so upset or disgruntled.

I know you and Brendan have struggled with the Omnipod on occasion, I am sorry that it has got to this point.:(

Is it the adhesive and taping issues? Or the actual functionality of the pod?

Would Brendan be willing to try a tubed pump?

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh Rella, I'm so sorry. :(

4. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I am really sorry. That is so disheartening. These things are supposed to make our kids' lives easier.

5. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

So sorry Rella, that you two are going through this. As far as another pump, have his dr write a letter of medical necessity, that IT IS necessary for him to change pumps due to what ever the reasons are. If you can document 2-3 reasons..most insurance companies might allow it.

6. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Rella, I'm so sorry you and your son are going through this. It must be so frustrating. I hope you get this all worked out soon. I would be curious to know what it is about Omnipod that made you hate it so much.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I agree, you must be really going through a tempest for us to be able to see your frustration. It really broke my heart to read the OP.

Last year as the year was ending Dexcom had a deal on its CGMS if you wanted to buy it out of pocket. Much cheaper than usual. I agree that you should be able to get insurance to cover a new system if you want it, but if you can't you could talk to the pump company of your choice and see if you can get a "deal". I know, not ideal or maybe even possible, but the dex was much cheaper at the time, maybe something would work.

I'm so sorry.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Rella, I'm so sorry :(

9. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I am sorry!

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Rella, I am so sorry . I hope you can get the MDI quickly worked out.

11. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I am sorry, we are also back on MDI for now, but for Daniel it is adhesive issues - causing irritation, but he also will only use his legs so they never get a break.
    The last time he used Lantus for break from Pod it was a nightmare.. but this time we are splitting 7 units in the morning 7 units at night. Sooo much better numbers have actually been good. On the pump his basal was just over 14 (closer to 15) but using 14 Lantus is working but if he took it all at once he would have a major low it does peak for him.

I think Daniel will go back on the pod but it is nice to know we can do MDI when needed.:)

I hope it gets better.. and as far as switching pumps if that is what you decide I would try to appeal and say the Pod did not work for you and see if you could get an override?? All they can do is say no so I it might be a worth a shot maybe they would approve. Maybe your dr could help too.

12. SueM

SueM Banned

Oh no. :( That stinks. We haven't had any issues lately and I haven't noticed anything different in the "quality" so I wonder what is going on in your situation? I probably just jinxed myself.

For the record, when we have a pod which fails within a certain window... we take the insulin out and use it...

Good luck with your next step.

13. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I am so sorry for the frustration and pain that you are all feeling. Just know that I am thinking good thoughts for this to get better quickly for you!

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh no, Rella! I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how happy you were with the Pod. And I know how stressed you are over the Nav situation too. This can't be helping. :(

I agree that you may be able to get an insurance override to get a different pump. It's not like insurance had a big outlay on the PDM - it's the pods that are expensive. If you think you'd be okay with a tubed pump, it's something to keep in mind. I know nights/early mornings were tough for you on MDI before.

FWIW, I think Insulet will get this straightened out. When we were looking at pumps over two years ago, they were having issues with Pod quality then too, and they worked those out in a few months.

Hugs. I'm sorry diabetes is so stressful for you lately.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am sure that if you call a pump companie Rep. now, so upset with the POD, That that pump company may loan you one until the insurance is figured out?

16. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

So sorry Rella but we TOTALLY understand what you are going through. After half a box of pod failures last week, we did MDI for the weekend and saved the last pod we had for school. Put it on yesterday morning...only to have it fail today. We too are going back on MDI until the replacement pods get here or until the new pump (switching to a Ping) gets here...whichever comes faster, hopefully by the end of the week. I know you must be so frustrated:(

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

Ugh Rella, I am so sorry! My son has absolutely no interest in pumping at all because of his two experiences with the Omnipod. :( Going back to MDI only took a few days to get his #'s under control and we haven't seen a ketone since, lol. If I'm not mistaken, I think some pump companies offer a "trade in" type of deal. It might be worth looking into! :cwds:

18. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Sorry to hear you guys are having a rought time.. I would definately talk with the Dr and your insurance company about getting a different pump since this one did not work for your child.. Surely there is something that can be done..

19. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh Rella Im so sorry:( If I can be any help with figuring out MDI dosages for Brendan please let me know.

20. dianas

dianas Approved members

Like others have said you can see if your insurance will over ride the omnipod for a switch if you still want to pump. I also would call Animas and Medtronic and see if they have any trade-in programs going right now. They both periodically have had switch to us for the remainder of your warranty offers at various times in the past. Usually these sorts of offers are cash for the trade in but supplies go back on insurance.

So sorry this has been happening. Good luck with the MDI.