- advertisement -

Back on MDI - Insulin pen question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GinaB, Mar 14, 2011.

1. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Joseph's a1c was really high again. Dr said it was because his tummy and back were fatty and scaring from not moving the insertion sites to new areas. She told him he cannot use those areas for at least six months. She gave him the choice of putting sites in new places or shots. He chose shots. We have been using syringes for two weeks with good numbers. Started using the apidra pens yesterday. They seem drippy and his numbers are higher again. I'd appreciate a refresher on how to successfully use the insulin pens. The pen needles are 5mm and seem a little short.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We found we had to count to ten before removing the needle with the pens.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

My advice is to not use pens.

4. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

our daughter pumps, but our son uses pens for Levimir and Novolog. I also a have always kept a pen in my purse for backups. We have never had a problem with usage or high numbers as a result of using a pen.

We pinch up the skin a bit, insert needle, push plunger, count to ten while it's still in, the let go of skin and remove needle. This is how we were taught years ago and still feel it works well. Good Luck!

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

This is how we do it too. We started on pens in the hospital and are still using them, 3+ years later.

You said the needles seemed a little short, so maybe try the 8mm and see if that works better for you.

6. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Thanks for the responses. I forgot about the 10 second rule!

I would like to stay with pens because I know he will bolus with them. Drawing up insulin and doing a shot, then disposing of the used syringe would be difficult and less discrete to do at the movies or a friends house. I might still use the syringes for corrections when we are home.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

We have also found the pens to be much more useful and portable. :cwds: