- advertisement -

Baby Monitor

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Does anyone use a baby monitor to hear pump alarms in the night? We were thinking that if DD's pump alarm went off in the night that we wouldn't be able to hear it. Thinking that a baby monitor would be the answer, but now wondering how often the alarm would sound anyway. Is an occulsion really rare. We plan to be checking at least once every night anyway.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The only semi-common pump alarms we get during the night are low reservoir alarms and low battery alarms. I can't remember which pump you're on (you should add that to your signature), but on the Medtronic pump, you have 24 hours to change the battery once you get that alarm, and the low reservoir alarm can be dealt with in the morning too.

We find no delivery (occlusion) alarms very rare, and we almost always get them with a meal bolus, and never in the middle of the night.

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

If I remember correctly, you are getting the PING. Alarms are very rare. The alarm we get the most is a low battery alarm, and we generally look at the pump enough to know it is coming. All of our alarms have occured in the daytime luckily.

ETA - after a little over 1 year of pumping, we have never had an occlusion alarm. Guess I better knock on wood now...

4. alismom

alismom Approved members

We do use a baby monitor but we use a cgms also.

5. Adrienne UK

Adrienne UK Approved members

Yep we use a baby monitor but use CGM. The one night our original baby monitor broke and I decided I wouldn't replace it, Jessica fitted and I had to use the glucagon so I bought a new one the next day.

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Yep - we use baby monitor

When we first started with CGM I was totally afraid I wouldn't hear it in the night. So yes - we broke out the baby monitor and it worked perfectly. It did alarm a few times during the night and I was able to hear it.

7. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

yes we use a baby monitor..More for the Dex though..

8. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

So far it seems that baby monitor is good if you use a cgm but not necessary if pumping only.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

If you check your daughter at night and are diligent about checking the battery and reservoir indicators, I can't imagine that you would need a baby monitor. We don't use one now, and don't feel any need to get one right now, but we will definitely use one when we start on the CGM.

10. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

To echo much of the same above, just pumping we never used one, never had an alarm at night either. We started on the pump about a year ago and have never had an occlusion alarm. When we did the Dexcom Trial and now having the unit, I put the monitor back in so we can hear if it alarms, but usually I hear it even without the monitor (I sleep really light now) We have friends that got a monitor that has a tv camera in it, pointed at their CGM so if the alarm does go off they can see what it is withoug going into their ons room if it is just fall rate or climb rate

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'd just go ahead and get a baby monitor in case your child calls you during the night. I don't think you will be able to hear the pump alarms very well with the baby monitor. Unless you get a microphone thingy to amplify the sound, but honestly I don't think you truly need it. Just keep your night testing and if you ever get a CGMS, then I guess those alarms are louder:confused:.

We rarely get alarms overnight. Low battery or low insulin alarm sometimes but we see them during the day and change those. We've had a few occlusion alarms but I think it was a bad infusion set batch, and like Karla wrote, these alarms have happened right after a meal bolus.