- advertisement -

B12 deficiency question

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Heather(CA), Oct 21, 2013.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

So I found out that I am B12 deficient, in 2010 it was 305 which is not considered low (Although I know I was having symptoms at that number) I recently had it tested again and it was 168. Under 200 is low. I asked for a shot and I felt like a new person within about 6 hours. For the first time in years I woke up without feeling tired. That lasted two weeks.

My question is, for those who have also been dx'd. How did it work in the beginning? Did you start with one shot a month? Or did you take shots more often for a while then go to one per month?

Thanks in advance :)

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

When I was b12 deficient (I was at 78) I only had to go once a month. I can't remember what the dose was though...I can see if I have it written somewhere. I did the shots for 3 months but was getting some unwanted symptoms that are rare so I discontinued the shots since it was just a boost to get me back up and then switched to pills. My last bloodwork my GP said my b12 was back to an acceptable number and that she'd check again in 3 months.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I do not have any first hand experience but you might want to start by finding out if your diagnosis is pernicious anemia.

It is an autoimmune disorder that causes low B12 and is commonly the reason behind low B12.

If you do have pernicious anemia you will not be able to switch to oral B12 like Alicia, but I heard that sublingual is a possible option.

Good luck, I am glad to hear you are feeling better :)

4. Heather(CA)

My Aunt has Pernicious anemia. I think deficiency can go into that if you don't take care of it? I'm not sure. I am taking sub lingual along with the shot.

I am curious to find out if others started off with shots more often in the beginning :) Then went down to 1 per month after their levels were up :)

5. Heather(CA)

Are you taking the sub lingual? (Under your tongue) What did they think was an acceptable level? I felt symptoms even at 305 :/

6. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I took sublingual at first and then switched to just the regular pills. I found the sublinguals took soooo long to dissolve...

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

You don't even necessarily have to become anemic to have PA. What makes PA distinct is the etiology.

It is end stage of immune gastritis.

The most common treatment is IM injection of B12 but sublingual is an option. Oral B12 is an option if you also take CN-Cbl and OH-Cbl.

8. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

I believe some people with b12 levels that are low get a shot once a week x 4 to help build stores. Good luck.

9. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

I started with shots once a week for 4 weeks and then switched to monthly.

10. Heather(CA)

See now this is what I think I need but my Doc doesn't know much about how to treat it. While researching, I found as much as a shot per week for 8 weeks...

11. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I have a B12 deficiency. I started out taking a shot every 2 weeks, 1ml. It stayed at a low level so my dr increased it to once a week injections of the same. At first it made me very tired, opposite of what it should be doing, but now I think my levels are better because I can feel the increased energy. I know I've got a leaky gut, so that's my problem. Not sure about the PA though.