- advertisement -

Averages

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lize, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Lize

Lize Approved members

My DD seems to use very little insulin for her age & weight. Pls post how much insulin on average other 12 year old's use. She weighs 54kg and is not a short girl. Also current carb ratio's and total basal pls. Her's is 1:12 and 10 units basal.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We just visited the endo last week, and the only thing she thinks is that my daughter still produces a small amount of insulin.

My daughter is 10, 62lbs, 4 ft 7 inches

Current total basal is 15.6 u per day

Breakfast 1:12
    Snack 1:18
    Lunch 1:18
    Snack 1:18
    Dinner 1:18
    Snack 1:16
    I forgot what our average was for meal bolus' but if I recall it was around 18-20

Of course, this is something that is specific to each kid, Your Diabetes May Vary as the saying goes. I'm pretty happy that we still get by on small doses of insulin!

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm guessing she doesn't actually weigh 24.54lbs - 54kgs is around 119lbs.

I'm not 12, but I weigh about the same amount as your daughter. Most 12 year olds probably use a bit more insulin than me because that seems to be the time of highest insulin needs due to puberty. For what it's worth, I get 17.15 units basal and 1:10 bolus ratio.

When I was 14 (and also a similar weight to your daughter) I needed 6U Lantus and 1:10 bolus ratio. Since then I've fluctuated between under 2 units of basal a day (!) to around 25 units of basal a day, and my I:C ratio has usually been around 1:10 but sometimes gone as low as 1:25 or as high as 1:5.

I'm not entirely sure what my point is, other than that when things fluctuate so much within each person, it's hard to draw a comparison between groups of people. Your daughter may use less insulin than average, but she just needs what she needs. :)

4. Lize

Lize Approved members

Up to 3 weeks ago, she used a total of 37 units per day. Then the lows came - and she is now on a total of 27 units per day. This makes me hope / think that maybe ...

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My DD just turned twelve. She's currently on 15.5 Lantus and 1:10 for breakfast and 1:12/13 for other meals. She still makes some of her own insulin. Her doses have skyrocketed in the last two months with puberty setting in.

Could your daughter have had a virus or something that is still affecting her carb absorbtion? My DD had a virus a couple months ago, and her insulin needs dropped like a rock. Her Lantus halfed, and she went 5 days with Humalog only once and then five days with none at all, and her BGs stayed beautifully in the 70s-120s even post-prandial. Unfortunately, it didn't last. :(

6. Lize

Lize Approved members

Nope - she's as fit as a fiddle :D I have to add that she decided that she's fat :)mad:) and really stopped eating sweets and such. She's eating healthy and one portion only (per meal) and every evening she rides 4 - 5 km with her bicycle. She lost 2 kg in the last month and with all this 10 units of insulin in total per day. Her numbers are really good - A1C 5.3. I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Please don't go down that road. Insulin is insulin and it is something she will need no matter what. The most likely cause is puberty. About a year before the 'grand event', we saw drastic drops and steep climbs in insulin needs as her body adjusted.

ETA: Or it could be the honeymoon coming to an end - we were also o na roller coaster with that.

8. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Hope/think what?

9. Lize

Lize Approved members

That maybe she was wrongly diagnosed or that her body sort of "healed". She's using less and less insulin, she doesn't "spike" except after breakfast .18 Months into D, puberty, growing - and she's needing less insulin? What's the odds?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  10. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

My guess would be her daughter is/will be free of diabetes soon. Don't go there, sweetie. It won't happen. I'm sorry. :(

I imagine her bike riding has a lot to do with her lower needs. Exercise will help lower insulin needs, as does having less fat and more muscle. But she still needs insulin.

Just saw your update post. DO NOT take her off the pump unless you give her lantus or levemir. Unless you are ready to go back to the hospital with a child in DKA. And if the Dr. found out why she was in DKA, it would go badly for your family, I imagine. A family in Texas did that and their child died. They were convinced she was healed by God and took her off the pump. I think she died within 4 days.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Uhm, that would be child abuse and putting your daughter's life at risk - I understand the little glimmer of hope, but your child still needs 20+ units of insulin a day - that isn't going to miraculously revert to nothing.

I seriously seriously seriously hope you were kidding.

12. Lize

Lize Approved members

Hoping rather ...

Could this not be type 2 or 1 1/2 maybe?

13. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We passed the 2 yr mark in July. The odds are pretty good on insulin needs changing...at least in our house. A little over 6 weeks ago, TDD dropped from 60-65u down to less than 20u. We're now back to 70u. We see TDD rise for about 3 months, then start a steep decline until she levels out around 20-25u TDD. It's easy to pretend for the week to 10 days of lower doses that maybe, just maybe.....

Unfortunately, the rise begins again. We saw our endo last week & had a really informative discussion about this. I thought something odd was going on but according to him, it's completely normal during puberty.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Pretty high, actually. Insulin needs fluctuate. It just happens. Like I said before, since I was diagnosed my insulin needs have varied. A lot.

Please do not take off the pump. Your daughter is healthy and has an a1C that most people would dream of, and she will get very sick if you take her pump away. We all need insulin to stay alive, to be honest I'm scared that you would think of doing that. She'd probably be very sick in only a few hours. :(

15. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I wholeheartedly agree!

16. Lize

Lize Approved members

Guess this is my "ahh" moment! :eek:

17. Lize

Lize Approved members

And just please - I didn't say that I will take the pump off. I said that I'm thinking about it. Huge difference, and if I do that it will be in conjunction with her Endo and a LOT of testing to see which way it will go. I will never ever ever do something that will harm my DD. Not in a million years. She is my whole life.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm sorry, but the reality is that no, she most likely was not wrongly diagnosed. Her body has healed because she's on the insulin that her body was deprived of. You will find with puberty that there are going to be times when she needs less insulin and times she needs more. We found that this summer our daughter had a growth spurt, but was so active that she actually needed less insulin. Now, you can see she's starting to need more insulin because she's at school and not as consistently active. Now, we are finding she needs less insulin at night, more during school hours. That's just over a two week period. So, as you can see, the needs fluctuate.

DO NOT take your child off the pump. You are risking her health.
    Track her blood sugars more, find patterns. But DO NOT, DO NOT take her off the pump. I think the best thing is for you to go and consult her endo and they will talk you through this.

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

my son is about 45kg, 11, and uses less bolus but a little more basal than your daughter. 2 weeks ago his total daily dose was a good 15u higher than it is right now.

things fluctuate. Taking away insulin is a sure fire way to land in the hospital and like the others have said, it's irresponsible.

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

This is not a healthy path for you to wander down. Diabetes is not static. It's subject to constant, unexpected, sometimes inexplicable change.

Please don't be *that mom* who jumps at the lure of every internet "cure" that comes along. You'd be doing yourself, and more importantly your child, a grave disservice.