- advertisement -

Average Daily Carb Intake?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

No carb limit here! DD is 11 years old, about 100 lbs, and her average daily carb intake is well over 200. When DD was very little I would make her a "rainbow appetizer" This was a plate that had a handful of fruit and veggies from all the colors of the rainbow. Each night she would help me make this before her dinner. She ate baby spinach, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, oranges....all the colors we could find. It was fun for her and it really nailed in the lesson of eating a healthy balanced meal. :cwds:

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I had no idea so just looked at her remote. daily average is 178.

3. Derek R

Derek R New Member

"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. Mish

Mish Approved members

Roughly a bazillion. LOL

the only real limiting we do is that I won't plan pasta for more than 2 days a week , otherwise we would eat pasta or have pasta based dishes almost every night with dinner.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

We average 100-150 a day for a 55 lb 8 year old girl. The only "low carb" part of her diet is limiting junk food.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Just a tidbit of diabetes history: Back in the 80s when home blood testing was still a fairly new, exciting event, parents were encouraged to have their children eat pizza on overnights to keep them safer.

Thanks to everyone for satisfying my curiosity. We really haven't changed much of how we eat since T1 diagnosis, and most of what we have done has been at my daughter's request. She asked to not have potatoes in the house until we learned that red ones don't spike like the white ones, so now we use them some. She also asked for oranges to be a treat when we're elsewhere, not a regular at home. And we typically buy green apples rather than reds after observing the difference in spikes on her CGM. Nothing big, and all initiated by her.

7. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

About 200 carbs a day for a growing 12 year old.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I just checked my pump and over the past 14 days the average is 186 carbs per day which is a lot higher than I would have thought! I'm 20 years old, pretty lean, and very active. My average blood sugar based on the dex ranges from 105-130 depending on the day so I don't think my semi-high carb diet is doing too much harm!

9. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

According to his pump the last 30 day average is 136 per day. When we came home from the hospital right after DX, he was on NPH and R and his range was 45-60 at each meal and 15 per snack and we've just kind of adopted the meal time at 45-60. Today he had a GI appt and was quite anxious over the whole thing, so he had 71 carbs for his dinner because we went to the Cheesecake Factory and he had the low carb cheesecake. His number has stayed steady for the last 5 hours, and since it was a not-normal day, I didn't freak out about it. He was pushing the carb counts buying school lunch (meaning, getting closer and closer to 70 with food I didn't think was a good choice, but I didn't say that to him), so we went back to home packed lunch. We just spun it as, what mom packs is better for you ingredients-wise.
    We don't ever tell him no when he asks for something either.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hi Meaghan, welcome aboard!

A "bolus" is the insulin you give to cover the carbs in a meal or snack.

A "correction" is the insulin you give to bring down high blood sugars.

Sometimes a bolus and a correction will be combined - for example if you measure before a meal and see that blood sugar is high, then you will give some insulin to bolus for the meal and some to correct for the high blood sugars. That can be combined into one syringe if you're giving injections, or one bolus/correction from the pump.

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

IMPORTANT

Please note that only the first paragraph of what was quoted in Michelle'sMom's post above is what I wrote. Please do not combine parts of what one person writes with the words of another. It can lead to much confusion and misunderstanding! Also, speaking for myself, at least quote an entire paragraph of what I've written if you quote only part of what I've written. Leaving off the end of my first paragraph quoted has impacted the essence of what I wrote. This is how errors occur when someone is quoted out of context. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  13. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I would suggest taking that up with the operators of this board, or the board software designers. I clicked "Reply with Quote" & that's what appeared. I was also posting from an iphone.

Perhaps a little less rudeness in your posting would be in order.

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

As my older daughter once said, "You can't hear tone of voice in a post." (She likely heard these words of wisdom from someone else, but I'd like to think that she came up with this on her own. :) ). If I could have possibly said what I wrote aloud, I believe you would have come away with an entirely different impression. Let me attempt to assure you that my message was not intended to be rude. Hence the "please" and "thank you". No one wants to be misquoted and I was merely making sure my words were not attributed to another and vice versa.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I've not read every reply so forgive any duplication. I personally DO think we are doing a disservice but always claiming "my kid can eat anything". I mean, they CAN, it's true, but just like all of us~~they shouldn't! I don't personally view my D kid as any different nutritionally and we've always strived in our family for smart carb over low carb, though during seasons of needing to lose weight (like now!) I do personally go low carb.

A carb is not a carb, and the amount of carbs is sort of irrelevant to me, it's the nature of the carb that matters. I've known vegetarians who ate crap all day, no meat, but also poor nutritionally. Same can go with low carb. Sorry, but eating meat all day is not a good idea, and hey, vodka is no carb too, lol. So it's better, IMO, to focus on good glycemic carbs, avoid highly processed foods. The closer to nature the food the better. Quinoa, legumes, sweet potatoes, fruits are all carbs, but still better in nutritional value than the equivalent amount of white potatoes and rice. My husband has taken white flour and sugar out of his diet, no other changes...he's lost #14 without much effort.

For my son, he's not living at home anymore so it's hard for me to guess, but he's well over 100-200 carbs/day and likely much more. He eats a very balanced diet and avoids potatoes, pizza, cereals. SOME of the time! He's also a college kid living in the dorms, so when he comes home I do make waffles, which he eats with real maple syrup, I make his favorite chicken and dumplings, etc.

What has always bothered me about the low/no carb stuff is the all or nothing mentality. Yes, avoiding junk food is good. Yes, healthy whole foods is best. Eating close to nature=good, eating at a drive through=bad. But it's not going to ruin a life eating french fries or pizza every so often, nor is it going to lead a kid down the path of spiralling health to have a bowl of cereal here and there. I personally do think an egg and bacon IS a better breakfast choice but does my kid choose a cinnamon roll every so often? Yep. Does that worry me? Nope. One one of the rebuttal replies someone said something about not being able to control our kids urges for junk food or something equally silly. :p The parents here seem to be quite balanced in their approach.

All or nothing is a great way to lead to burnout and rebellion. Sounds to me like you are doing things exactly right.

16. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I haven't but I suspect it would work if you freeze after the first baking. It is pretty sturdy at that point. Let me know if you try it.

17. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I always say she can eat anything she wants. Should she eat a gallon of ice cream in one sitting, probably not but really no one should. Moderation in everything. When I was pregnant the OB said "I could put you on some kind of special diet. But you know what foods are good for you and which aren't. Try to have more good than bad." That's kind of our philosophy.

I'd have to check her PDM but I think she usually has around 200ish/day. Some are less some are more. She is still one of the worlds pickiest eaters so in that respect she doesn't often try anything new that we don't know how to dose. I'm really hoping college changes that up for her some.

18. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I asked my son today what his pump said, and he looked and said his average is actually 232 carbs per day, although we limit him to 400 per day.

19. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Im not sure of the total but my daughter eats constantly and we don't limit carbs just bolus for it. She eats her meals and lots of snacks in between